Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: none

Stuck on reboot screen post-update 2.0

My 16 GB Playbook is now useless after attempting the 2.0 update. I've read the other threads on this.

Here's what I've tried:

-- updated via the device - no issues

-- auto-rebooted after update

-- reboot stuck on splash screen ... waited 30 min - no success

-- tried to hard reboot via on button (held down 15 seconds till powered off) then restarted - once again hung on splash screen  - no success 

-- consulted forums

-- retired reboot (waiting in powered off state in between)  - no success

-- waited all night with it plugged in cycling in spash screen - no success

-- tried to re-do the update via my desktop manager  (3 times)

-- every time it would present with retry/update/cancel options, I'd choose update, enter my password as prompted, it would proceed through download and install progress window. At end of install progress - it would fail with install failure message

I bought this the day it came out. Have used it for 10 month. Updated many times with point updates having zero problems and now with 2.0 its useless to me. What else can I do?

BB help says I am not eleigible for free update help because I foolishly bought this the day it came out in Apr 2011. I paid full price and now am being asked to pay more to update something that is clearly not working.

New Contributor

Re: Stuck on reboot screen post-update 2.0

The message I get when trying to update from the Desktop is: "There was an error updating your software - A connection to the tablet could not be established. Please connect your tablet and try again."
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

i have the same issue, want to go to waterloo with me and throw our playbooks through rims windows?
Highlighted
New Contributor

I understand your frustration. I just want someone from BB to step up and provide assistance - and not at $49 bucks for incident help. 

I was a huge supporter of RIM and Playbook - but this experience has been awful so far. 

Still hoping I get the help I need. 

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

I also had to do OS reinstall because of the freeze on boot. I was also getting error at the end of the OS install in DM - playbook started to reload and I was getting error in DM, but after 4 minutes or so going through the boot with "pretty circles" playbook loaded to the initial setup screen with language selection. 

In my case freeze on boot consistently occurs if I create folders and put everything in these folders on the top dock, so I have only one row of folders and nothing else (no icons on the screen). If I shut down and power on back after such changes my playbook stuck on boot.

New Contributor

Good to know. 

I have yet to make it out of the splash screen on Update 2.0. And  have never used folders so that is likely not my issue. Yet. Smiley Wink

Right now BB support has walked me through doing a "stacked charge" of the device - which involved 10 rounds of 2 min charge using outlet charger followed by 30 sec disconnect from outlet charger. Then I am supposed to let the device charge normally using the outlet charger for 4 hrs (I'm at 3 hrs now). ANd finally then boot the device to see if it can crawl out of the splash screen. . 

The assumption by BB Support is that my device (purchased APR 2011) is not charging properly and therefore unable to make it through the boot process during this 2.0 update. I had more than 50% charge when I did the update yesterday. And had the device plugged into the outlet charger or computer USB after that. But if the battery has lost charge and is not taking new charge then maybe the BB Support theory will prove correct. We will see if this works in about 63 min...  I sure hope so!

Support also told me that likely the error message I was getting on the Desktop install is false (and I have read something similar in one of the Knowledge Base articles) - that if the Desktop  install progress window finsihes, then the install happened, even if the post-progress windo pop-up says otherwise. 

New Contributor

Sadly looks like this "stacked charge" thing is not a solution to my never-ending reboot. 35 minutes of slowly spinning out of focus color orbs and still no successful emergence from update-boot with 2.0.

Looks like I will have to spend yet more time on line with BB Support trying to figure out what the heck is going on. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Turn off the playbook and start dm. Connect via usb and select updste.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

I connected again to the Desktop and updated (this is now my 6th or 7th time) and it again, gives me the error message at end of install progress window - the cycles that splashscreen. I have yet to emerge from the splash screen and enjoy the wonders of update 2.0.

I bought my 16GB Playbook when they first came out  Apr 2011. Anyone else having problems updating to 2.0 with one of these early editions of the Playbook?

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Hard reset coninues to freeze

Turn off PB open DM and connect it asks to repair OS or retry, retry does nothing, repair fails.

Turn PB on and connect to DM connects like normal, when i select update no updates available.

.... this is retarded...