Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: tog

Re: Tethering the Playbook to a Non-Blackberry Smartphone

I have an iPhone 3gs. No problems connecting with bluetooth. But when I try to tether (I've used the pre-set Optus [Australia} and manually set a profile) it saya "can't find iPhone make sure bluetooth is turned on ...etc.

The phone is already connected!!!!

Regret very much buying Blackberry - I was given the impression it was a "universal tablet", but seems to only work with RIM products.

John from Oz (Australia)

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I don't believe I've ever read that one could use tethering from the iPhone to the Playbook. Did someone tell you that you could? You can't even tether from a BlackBerry to the Playbook, but BlackBerry Bridge covers that base.

Does your iPhone have hotspot capabilities? That would work. OS7.1 BlackBerrys and many other smartphones can do that.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

iPhone 3 does not have wifi hotspot. I was told when I bought the playbook (OO.com.au) that it would work with bluetooth tethering.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Seems your iPhone is out of date.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

'Cos I'm an old pensioner. I inherit my sons phone - the 4s is due this month, so I should be OK then.

Cheers - John

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Not sure where I saw the detailed explanation, but the kind of bluetooth connection the PlayBook uses is different to the kind the iPhone uses. I have the 3GS which does let me set up the iPhone as a hotshot, and the PlayBook can find it, but the connection fails. Apparently with the iPhone 4 or maybe 4s, the phone can set up a wifi network, not just a bluetooth hotshot. That is what you need to getthe playbook to piggyback of your iphones dataplan.

I've been prettycontentwith the 3GS and wasn't in a hurry to upgrade until I figured that bit out. Now I'm wondering if I should hope for one in my Christmas stocking.. Smiley Wink

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

reconeyes wrote:
I think as we progress into the future all devices will become more open to comunicate with each other...even apple has opened slightly in the last few years and they are notorious for limiting their devices by building software that limits usage. And there coding of most smart phones is essentially the same...

I think quite the opposite:

• all smartphones use a different coding. Hence development kits like phonegap to... fill the gap. and hence why most developers who start developping for iOS have difficulties coding for another platform
  • as we progress into the future, I am convinced that all devices will become less and less open to communicate with each other and we will rely on third party apps

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: