Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Texting from PlayBook

Is it possible to text from a PlayBook to a non-BB phone? I don't have a BB phone so can't use Bridge. I suppose I would have to have some sort of communication utility on my PlayBook that uses the internet to pass the message to a phone.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Texting from PlayBook

Using Bridge, yes it is.

There could be a third party app that transports SMS , but I don't know of one.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer

I've always understood Bridge only worked with a BB phone. Can Bridge be used to communicate directly over the Internet?

No, Bridge is only available bewtween the BlackBerry smartphone and the PlayBook.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Developer

That's what I thought. So I'm back to the start with my query.

See my second line of my first post in this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

[ Edited ]

Actually, sending an SMS is quite easy.  You do need to know the recipient's service provider and phone number. The service providers will give you instructions on their website as to how to send an SMS to phones on their service.  Typically, you send a short e-mail to the phone's address such as (10 digit phone number)@(serviceprovider).com.  Some even have an online webapp that sends the SMS for you when you type it into the web app.

Unfortunately, not all those service providers allow their customers to reply back to you by SMS to your PlayBook.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Enygma wrote:

Actually, sending an SMS is quite easy.  You do need to know the recipient's service provider and phone number. The service providers will give you instructions on their website as to how to send an SMS to phones on their service.  Typically, you send a short e-mail to the phone's address such as (10 digit phone number)@(serviceprovider).com.  Some even have an online webapp that sends the SMS for you when you type it into the web app.

Unfortunately, not all those service providers allow their customers to reply back to you by SMS to your PlayBook.

Doesn't wok for me. 10 digits? Ours like most have locally 11 ie 07810nnnnnn or internationally 12 ie 447810nnnnnn

Is that service USA only maybe?

My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

As I said before, you have to consult the service provider's website for instructions on how to send an SMS to their customers through the Internet.  North America is on a standard 10 digit phone number.  Obviously, other locations have different lengths of phone numbers. I gave a generic example, but that does not mean all providers use that format.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Did some more Googling. Seems US is now alone in this email to txt feature which most other western countries dropped. Some supported MMS but in most cases the recipient had to turn on the feature first. We probably get enough spam texts without giving the scum senders more tools with which to disturb us