Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Tip & Tricks for BlackBerry Playbook

ID Agreenment: * Playbook does not continue from ID Agreement page during initial Setup.

* Make sure your Wireless Network is Turned On and Broadcasting. (Unless hidden)

- On your PC/MAC Open your Web Browser.

• Type in the address bar your IPv4 Default Gateway. (ex:
  • Login using your Router Username/Password.

*Note: Default username/password is admin/admin. (See your router MFG for username/password)

• Under "Wireless Settings" locate "Wireless Card Access List".
  • Click on "Add".
  • Go back to your Playbook, and scroll back to your "Connect to Wi-Fi" screen.
  • Click on the "Settings" button located on the Left hand corner.
  • On the drop menu select "Network Connection".
  • Go back to your Router Setup page.
  • Add the Device name. (ex: BB Playbook)
  • In the "Network Connection" screen in your Playbook, type the MAC Address shown at the bottom, in your Router Setup page. (ex: E1:2E:B3:F4:F5:6D)
  • Click "Add". (*Wait for Router to restart)
  • After router has restarted. Go back to your "Connect To Wi-Fi" page in your Playbook and connect to your Wireless SSID (if hidden, connect Manually to the Network).
  • Wait for Connection.

Test connection by selecting "Hotspot Setup" on the lower left hand corner next to the "Settings" button. A Blackberry Logo and "Successfully connected to Wireless Network message" will appear.

• Continue to the "ID Agreement".
  • Done!

Date & Time: *Date and Time does not show the correct Time and Date.

*Make sure you have Set Date and Time Automatically to "ON". Under Settings/Options> Date & Time.

• Go to "Clock" in your Applications.
  • Pull up the top Menu. (Swipe your finger from Top frame to the Screen.)
  • Click on "New Clock".
  • Name your Clock. (Optional)
  • Select Time Zone.
  • Select Clock Face. (Optional)
  • Click "Set as Home Clock".
  • Done!

Media Sync/Backup: * Playbook does not Update or Sync my Media files.

*Note: Make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Software/ Device Manager installed and updated to latest version, before you continue.

• Unplug your Playbook from the USB connected to your PC.

In your Playbook:

• Go to "Settings" >Storage & Sharing > Select "Wi-Fi Sharing" to "OFF".
  • Under "USB Connections" Select "Connect to Windows" in the drop menu.

In your PC:

• Right click on your BlackBerry Device Manager icon located in your Taskbar, and click "Properties" >Options> select "Mount tablet volumes on connect" and  "Launch File Explorer on Volume mount" click "Ok".
  • Go back to your BB Desktop Software and under Tools select  "Refresh iTunes Album Art". (It may take a few minutes depending on iTunes Library Size)
  • Plug your Playbook back to your PC via USB connection.
  • Done!

*Wait for everything to load and you should be able to Sync and Backup your Playbook.

Software Updates: * Playbook keep showing same update version.

*Note: Latest Software update version for Playbook is

*Note:Make sure you have an active Internet Connection.

• Go to Settings> Software Updates> click "Check for Updates". (Remember latest version is

If update occur without any errors or without asking for same worng version. You are done.

If errors occur:

• Plug your Playbook to your USB connecting on your PC. (Wait for everything to load)
  • Under "Device" (make sure Playbook is selected).
  • Select "Update".
  • Done!

Playbook should update and restart if the wrong Software Version is installed.

(More known issues and solutions to come. Other known issues/Solutions are also Welcome)

Thank You!

My Device: Torch 9800 and PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Tip & Tricks for BlackBerry Playbook

TSP001 wrote:

Software Updates: * Playbook keep showing same update version.

*Note: Latest Software update version for Playbook is

Looks like we've found the cause of this one - if you delete any pre-installed apps, such as NFB, the system will immediately tell you that a new version is available - the version you have right now.
Thanks to sf18443 for figuring this one out!
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

ok...for pix.  found this, if it helps anyone.

if you connect via cable, click and drag whole folders to the photos folder on the pb, or create a new folder and drop pix into it and your pictures app will show those folders as albums.

i thought it really dimb that you could only delete pix one at a time but then found a couple things:

if you open pictures/select an album then there is a general view of all the pix., swipe from top down,  then youwillhave quick access to switch between albums, or if you tap edit, you can select multiple pix and then delete many at once.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

In the web browser, double tap on the column of a web page. The playbook will auto-zoom and column fit the text and make full use of the screen.

A genius use of 7 inches of real estate.
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
My Device: Not Specified