Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Re Touch Screen Not Working

It must be for the initial setup.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Vodaphone

I press the on button and it opens up on to the language screen, but I cannot get anywhere to connect to wifi because the touch screen will do nothing.

After restarting (not touching and powering on), it goes direct to the language screen?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes - that's correct.  Before I contacted the tech support it opened on to the main screen, but of course I was unable to do anything with it - I couldn't progress it in any way.The tech support helped me download updates thinking that would help, but it didn't.  However since we did this it now only opens on to language screen and the main screen is nowhere to be seen.

ok, you have to have WiFi connected.

This is similar:  http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26582

I want to ask again, if you press and hold the power button, do you see any choices popup, such as restart, or sleep?

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

No nothing happens. Honestly nothing at all only that it opens on to the language screen then I can do nothing - how can I get on to wifi if the screen can't be moved from the language screen. I need to be on the main screen to be allowed to connect to wifi and because the touch screen won't work I can't change anything. I think there is something wrong with the touch screen and sadly am not sure how it can be fixed as I can only turn on with the on/off switch to the language screen. The only other thing I can do is to turn it off by holding down the on/off switch. You are being very patient and helpful with me but I can't see what I can do.

OK, wait... how are you turning it on and off with that on/off switch. I just asked if anything happens when you press and hold the power button and you said nothing.

Help me understand.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Okay. I press the on/off button and it warms up in the usual way (you know it takes a few minutes) and it opens up eventually to this language page.  Then nothing else can happen because the touch screen isn't receptive.  The only action I can take is to turn off by holding in the on/off again. I know it sounds crazy but this is how it is.

OK.  Try this below.

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
My Device: Torch / Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I'm having the same kind of problem, the touch screen is not working properly. When the Playbook was powered on it would start jumping around to different apps as if I had selected them, moving from one to the next randomly, and I could only shut it down by holding the power button as I was unable to use the touch screen.

Today I followed the instructions above to reload the software (debrick) using Blackberry Link and now I am stuck at the language screen also as the touch screen is not working properly, it won't select menu items when I touch or sometimes it selects it several times in a row (keeps going on its own) and it won't accept my swipe at the bottom to move to the next screen.

The touch screen has no cracks or chips, can't see anything physically wrong with it, but it just is not working. Any suggestions?