Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64G
My Carrier: None

Touch screen problems

Purchased about a week ago.  The first six days I had no problems using the touch screen.  Gestures worked fine, etc.

Then decided to try and shutdown the system to make sure it would start OK, since it was never shutdown since the original upgrade to OS 2.

I don't know whether my problem is related to this event but the touchscreen has become very unstable.  A single tap will put it into double finger mode.  Or a url link won't respond or i won't be able to scroll.  Sometimes moving screen orientation will bring back proper actions for a while before it fails again.

You ideas?  Hardware problem?

Thanks in advance.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Touch screen problems

The phone should be under warrany. See if you can have it exchanged. If not, do a system wipe, and re-load the OS. This will take some time. I suspect something with a software or the OS may be corrupt. 

Some years ago, I had a Storm where it stopped responding properly. After re-loading the OS and the programs I use it worked perfectly for a number of years until I changed it for a newer model. I now keep the Storm as a spare phone in case my regular one (Torch) needs service. So-far I have been very lucky with this. I have a Torch for just over a year now, and it has been perfect. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Contributor

It's not a phone. Thought this would be obvious considering the forum I posted in. As to re-install, that's a Windows thing. Shouldn't be necessary for a *NIX OS. I would never go through such an effort to maybe fix a problem like this.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

He is just giving you his life experience. Do a. 3 button reset. If that doesn't work try a security wipe after you do a backup
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

All these LCD displays work in similar principle of how they internally function. They are X - Y cross point addressed with using Z modulation for the pixel contrast level.

If one of the cross point circuits fail, or a full access position fails you can either have a dead looking pixel, or have a full line of them fail. If there is an X axis failure, there will be a horizontal line accross. If there is a Y access failure, there will be a vertical line running up and down. Single pixel failures result in what looks like a single dot. Sometimes there is a failure in the ribbon cable contact, or assembly at the board and or panel level when servicing.

The screen is built up in layered sub assemblies. The internal components are microscopic in size.

The contact assembly consists of many closely spaced conductors. The attachment of this assembly is heat sealed. The way these are put together and assembled is model design dependent. This is not something that a regular service tech can fix. He has to change the complete assembly.

On very rare occasions a full system reset can re-initialize the logic control for the screen. Normally, when there are pixel or line problems this is hardware. This part of the system uses mostly hard wired type circuit design that is addressed from burned in firmware. The display has its own management processor.

In the case of a tablet or a phone, when you give it in for service, they will change the complete panel assembly, or the display logic drive module (circuit board) depending on where the fault occured. It's basicaly the same process for a panel type TV or panel type monitor.

I used to service Plasma and LCD monitor display equipment for media production studio work.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Contributor

So a three button reset does more than turning.the machine off and on?

Since I have no way of using the Windows software to backup the system, the second suggestion might not be an option.  If I knew what needed backing up. Maybe I can do that manually.  So far I haven't be able to make much sense of how the filesystem is arranged.

Forums Advisor III

Linux2Playbook wrote:

So a three button reset does more than turning.the machine off and on?

Since I have no way of using the Windows software to backup the system, the second suggestion might not be an option.  If I knew what needed backing up. Maybe I can do that manually.  So far I haven't be able to make much sense of how the filesystem is arranged.

If I remember correctly, you can only access files on the PB that you created, or copied in as a user. You cannot access the system files directly. You can only back them up using the Blackberry Desktop software.

If you cannot access the Playbook with your computer, have you considered to call Playbook support for some suggestions that nobody in this group was able to accomidate?

I am assuming your computer is a Windows or MAC type computer. If it is Windows, you must have Windows XP SP-3, or Windows 7 SP-1 at the minimum. In either case a fairly recent version of MS Framework must also be installed.The Desktop manager will run nicely on both 32 and 64 bit systems.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

Just to add... The three button reset (Vol+ and Vol- and Pwr), which I've heard called the "three button solute" does the equivalent of a hard reset of the Playbook.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 , Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

The only way I can use my Playbook now is bt using my Bold 9900 Remote Control.

The Playbook wont just work, or wll do one time on 100.

So thats it am done with RIM. Time to join Apple now.