Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: asda

URGENT HELP PLS!. Aspergers son just pressed 'security wipe' on his playbook. Is all data lost????

Hi

My son has ASD. He is 8.  He got a Playbook about 3.5 months ago.

Today he was trying to reset the password by typing in: 'Blackberry'.

He then went onto a 'security wipe' setting by mistake and pressed 'yes'.

He panicked, turned it off and then on.

All his pics and data seems  to be wiped.

Is there any way of restoring it, please, as he is devastated???

Also, whilst I am on, how do I put some sort of safety filter on which websites he can access please?

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: URGENT HELP PLS!. Aspergers son just pressed 'security wipe' on his playbook. Is all data lost????

sorry it is gone from a wipe, cant undo it unless you have a backup with desktop services or manager

opendns.org has a dns server you can add to you router so he will be safer when surfing. they have a good help section to get you going.

free

https://store.opendns.com/familyshield/setup/router

paid

https://store.opendns.com/get/vip-home

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: URGENT HELP PLS!. Aspergers son just pressed 'security wipe' on his playbook. Is all data lost????

good news is that you wont lose any apps you bought, juet set it up with orig BBID and reinstall from app wolrd

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Oh no!
It has his Xmas show on it, some photos he was going to send in for a competition, pics of his friends, everything that means anything to him.
He is sobbing in his room Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad
I told him not to, but when he gets upset, he gets upset Smiley Sad
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

imogengladhart wrote:
Oh no!
It has his Xmas show on it, some photos he was going to send in for a competition, pics of his friends, everything that means anything to him.
He is sobbing in his room Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad
I told him not to, but when he gets upset, he gets upset Smiley Sad

As knottyrope suggested there is no way of getting them back unless you have any device backup. Its always suggested to have periodic back up of smartphone or tablet data. This will safeguard your from such occurrence.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Contributor

OK, thanks.

I have no tecchie understanding.

How do I back-up stuff?
Contributor

Oh no.

How do I back up data to stop this ever happening again, pls?

Is an ipad any easier for a younger child to use?
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

imogengladhart wrote:
Oh no.

How do I back up data to stop this ever happening again, pls?

Is an ipad any easier for a younger child to use?

Check the below KB article for backing up device data -

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Regarding iPad check apple forum.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

the iPad will not be easier to use for a young child.

you can learn to do backups, it won't take you more than 20 minutes to understand how to do that.

but apart from backups, you can see the PlayBook as a WiFi harddrive, when you have done the backup, you can ask us and we will show you how you can copy the pictures & videos taken with your PlayBook, to your PC. It takes a few seconds once you know how.

I can imagine that, say, this week-end, if you kid takes pictures, and videos, at the end of the day, you copy all the pictures and videos on your PC. You can do that regularly (every day, every week-end, every other week and so on).

about the iPad, Apple advertizes a cloud system :
you take a picture with an iPhone or an iPad, and the picture gets sent to your Apple account, in Apple Me, without you doing anything apart from the one-time configuration the first day.
Sounds promising and very easy... except the fact that deleting a picture on the iPad will wipe it out also from your Apple account... meaning deleting the picture on your PC too.
two faces of the same coin...

I prefer the PlayBook way :
- manual copy of the pics & vids, regularly
- and from time to time, a global backup (for example once per month).

I have to admit that I have my PlayBook for more than a year and a half... I have a copy of all my music/pics/vids on my PC, but have never made any backup.

I am not a father (yet), but you can also take the opportunity to teach your kid to learn not to click everywhere, because there can be consequences. Easy to write that down on my keyboard behind my computer screen obviously. Smiley Wink

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

THANK YOU!

I willl not have chance to action this for a week until my kids go back to school but I will get in the habiit of backing up the playbook each night when I charge it.

I have been guilty of getting a device before I had time to understand it myself. I monitor his useage carefully but I would be horrified if he stumbed across any internet nasties so it is important to make sure it is child safe.

Is there no way even to retrieve the photos? (Sob)?