Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: Verizon

Unable to mount internal storage volume of Playbook

I'm currently using:

• Windows 7 64bit machine attached to a domain
  • Blackberry Playbook 64Gb running OS 2.0.0.7111 (volume mount with 1.0.8.6067 did not work either)
  • Blackberry Device Manager 6.0.0.40
  • BBDevMgr 4.2.0.15
  • RIM USB Driver 4.2.0.14
  • PlayBook RNDIS Driver Interface 1.0.0.16
  • Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1.0.36

When connecting my PB via USB cable, the internal volume storage mount is unsuccessful. The PB is recognized by BB Desktop software, displays the PIN and other stats. Without the volume mount I can't sync files. I have searched in support forum and see several people have this issue. I have seen several different solutions provided by some very gracious people who are eager to help. I have tried them all, but none have worked for me.

I am sure this is not a problem with the PB as I’m able to connect to another computer running Windows 7 32bit just fine. I have read from peoples comments that there are folks out there running 64bit version of W7 that they have no problems. So, I’m dealing with a “me” issue.

I have removed/reinstalled/adjusted for a few days now, and am at the point where I’m ready to give up. I can live without being able to sync files at work, and just email to myself (which with OS2 will hopefully allow me to access my email with the new native email client ;-), but I shouldn’t have to use a workaround.

So I’m hoping there is a genius out in the BB world that will read this, know the answer, and be kind enough to share it with me.

After reading some of the other threads, here are answers to some questions that will better illustrate how things look on my computer:

• There is no Z: drive in My Computer before or after I plug in the PB
  • The Device Manager in W7 shows the Research In Motion Network Device when plugged in
  • The Device Manager shows USB Composite Device for PB when plugged in
  • In the Network and Sharing Center I do see a Local Area Connection that is using the RIM Network Device
    • Client for Microsoft Networks is checked
    • TCP/IP v4 is checked
    • File sharing is checked

If you think you can help and need some other question answer, please ask. I’m open for any suggestions. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

wtkidd1972
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Unable to mount internal storage volume of Playbook

I would suggest that you check on the Blackberry web site, there is an update for the Desktop Manager

Once you have downloaded it, uninstall the current one, reboot, then install the one that you just downloaded

This should fix your problem

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply rat-7. Actually I'm using the latest version of Blackberry Desktop that was release on 11/16/2011 and is still the current one available for download on their website. I've removed and reinstalled it using several times using different procedures, but that hasn't seemed to help any. Thanks again.

wtkidd1972
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: i am carrying it duh! ;)

I would like to help but the best i can think of is reinstalling windows... which is pants and still might not work, you tried an obvious 'different usb port' eh?

You'lll notice in my windows 7 the PB maps to Z but it's as a Network location not as a drive as i would expect, it's connected via USB at this point, when i disconnect from USB it's no longer in the list, it does not show up as a wifi device on my network even though i would like it to.

Is there a clue in there somewhere?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

make sure you turn on file sharing and turn off the wifi.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: i am carrying it duh! ;)

My wifi is set to on and it connects via usb, no problem.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

Just a thought.
The problem could be due to the fact that your PC is logged onto a domain that may have certain restrictions blocking the PB from accessing the PC.
Have you tried on another PC in your company to see if that is the problem?
A possible work around is to not log onto the Domain but onto the local PCand then attach the PB via usb and see if the PCcan now gain access to the PC for you to transfer files.
If your files are onthe domain you may have to copy them to the local drive on the PC to then transfer to the PB.
DC-IT
New Contributor

Yes, I've tried different USB ports, and cables.

Yes, file sharing on the PB is turned on. I've tried with wifi and bluetooth on/off, doesn't make a difference.

I have not given any thought to the idea of it being restrictions being enforced by the domain. I will try another machine.

I don't know about the pulling my machine off the domain idea. It's a pain to get it added back to the domain. I'll try if I can. Thanks for the good ideas. I'll report back results.

wtkidd1972
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

There is no need to remove your PC from the domain.

When you key in Ctrl+Alt+Del you should be able to opt to log on the local domain/pc.

The other thing you can try is get your Network Administrator to add your PB's IP to the domain if your PB can connect to your office WiFi.

Good luck.

DC-IT
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jimlad wrote:
My wifi is set to on and it connects via usb, no problem.

There are threads on this forum that  report this as a problem.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.