Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB, OS2

Unable to open .WAV attachments from browser-based email

My apologies if this has been answered in another thread. I've been searching the Board and haven't come up with a solution in another post.

I recently travelled to a conference and took just my PlayBook. I had wifi connection and so used the browser to log into our Microsoft Exchange server at work. Our phone system emails WAV files to us when someone leaves a message, and I tried to open these through the browser to no avail. I am able to download the WAV files to the 'Downloads' folder on the PB, but then can't open them. I get an "unsupported media file" message whenever I try to open them. I even tried renaming the files in case the PB didn't like our phone system's naming convention. Unless I'm reading the OS2 manual incorrectly, WAV files are supported, are they not? 

Just to clarify, I'm not using the Bridge feature; I'm using the browser to access and download attachments to my PB. Other file types, such as PDF seem to work, I just can't get the WAV files to work.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide (including a link to another post that I've missed in my search).

New Contributor

Re: Unable to open .WAV attachments from browser-based email

I've also tried to access the WAV files through BB Bridge and I continue to get the same error message, "Media Error: this file type isn't support."

New Contributor

I just got off the phone with support. First, he claimed that WAV files are not supported (although the user guide claims it is). Next, he suggested that WAV files that are transfered through BB Desktop will work, but not files that are downloaded from attachments. Finally, he stated that the file must be in the Music folder in order to work. I was able to use AIR Browser to move the file over to the Music folder, but it still won't play. When BB Desktop syncs music files over, does it create a specific subdirectory in the Music folder? Has anyone been able to get a WAV file to play (regardless of how it got on to the PlayBook)?
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Hello I am not sure where the file goes when downloaded and I have only used my bridged email account when accessing but I have been able to open .wav files on my playbook since the last updates. I have a majic jack phone which sends an email when I receive a voicemail. The file opens on my phone with no problem and when bridged I can also open it on the playbook. When I 1st got the playbook I would get a message saying not supported but has been working here lately. Not sure how old this post is but maybe will be of some help.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wav files can be played on the pb. If you download them make sure you have the. Wave extension.
It works in native email, bridged email and websites.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

Thanks for the posts. I've been able to open wav files from other websites and so now I think it may have something to do with the way that our system creates wav files in the first place. Maybe we don't have the latest codec(?) or something so that the PB can't play it, even though the file has the .wav extension. I'll keep experimenting and post back any finds. Thanks again for your help.