Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Re: Unknown server error (-6) Help me please...

Specifically, I see this error trying to connect with Blackberry Device Manager: "Setup hasn't been completed for the connected BlackBerry Playbook tablet. Disconnect your device and finish setting it up (or complete the setup), then reconnect it to your computer."

When I tryto connect with Blackberry Desktop Manager, the specific message is "Before you begin, verifythat your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer."  I know that it is connected, in part because I can see that it is through the BB Device Manager.

Also, here's what I see in the diagnostic section under Device Information"

Device OS: BlackBarry Tablet OS

Platform Version: 1.0.5.2342

Is there a way to just reset tablet to an older version so I can get it working and then try to upgrade using the right sequence?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thank you Jagged!! Your solution worked for me. If the error is forced as you suggested then the Blackberry Desktop Manager gives you the option to update the software. First you have to open the BDM in you PC, then connect your Playbook via the usb port. If the Playbook is automatically turned on, then turn it off immediately. You should get a dialog box with the option to update the current software to factory version. Keep trying this until you get it, try other usb ports as well. The update will take a while and you will lose all your applications and data. Good luck!
My Device: curve
My Carrier: vodafone

you have to sign in using the same Blackberry ID email address as you used before you did the big initial upgrade. - then you don't get the (-6) error.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Did you try to log into your BlackBerry ID from another device, like a PC or a laptop?

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Globe

Hi Jagged. How long does the install of the software takes? thanks
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 2
My Carrier: Maxis

The Playbook will not function if the battery is below 20% charge. Please follow the steps below.

1. Plug in your Playbook to a power source to charge it. Charge it for about an hour to ensure it is charge more than 20% level.

2. Try restarting it by pressing all the buttons on top (+, - volume buttons & power button).

3. If it is responding to you now, ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi signal & continue the setup with your Blackberry ID & Password.

Hope this will help you solve it.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

PB is 100% charged.

The problem I'm getting is when downloading the OS. It says problem downloading the OS.

Thanks.
New Contributor

Suspect your are not connected to the internet. Can check your Wi-Fi connections?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

actually i'm re-installing the OS thru desktop manager because of the problem 'unknown server error (-6) when entering my bbid. I'm not updating the OS.. thanks anyways
New Contributor

Are you able to use the Playbook if you are not updating the OS?