Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Unwanted total shut down

Since the update to 2.0. My PlayBook shuts down totally. I only select the stand-bye mode. But when i do a swipe down over the screen I found out, its shutdown and does also not reboot. To reboot I have to do a hard reset first.

I did do an security swipe last weekend and reinstalled last version of the OS. After that I reinstalled my applications.

Question: Does anyone have this problem or know the solutions or is it hardware related and do I have to return the device to the store.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Unwanted total shut down

I haven't heard of this problem. How, exactly, did you reinstall the latest OS?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi John, thx for your reply.

After the security swipe via settings security. You have to walk thru the standard factory installation process. During that process it checks for OS updates. At that step I download the update 2.1.0.1032 and reinstall my other programs via App world and some that not exist via sideload. So everything new and not via e recovery of my backup.

Regards, John

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

A wipe of the device is not an OS reload.  This is how you should do an OS reload on the Playbook:

First do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi John,

I did do the steps form your advice. Did take some hours. Now the backup is restored. I found out I have to reconfigure my accounts again. icloud is very hard to configure.

Also the android apps are not restored. I continue tomorrow with it.

Txs so far,  John

Guru II

Apps aren't restored so you'll have to re-sideload those Android apps.

Has the reload solved the shut down problems?

New Contributor

I do not know yet.

One of the reasons i will do the other things like configuration, load apps and so on tomorrow.

Txs, John (from Holland) 21:30 PM

New Contributor

Hi John,

This morning it was still in standby mode. But during the day, it was shut down 3 times. It even shuts down once while I was using the PlayBook. I get a window with the message that it will shut down and then it shuts down.

Your solution did not help.

Maybe it is due to the configuration of all the accounts I did do  today.

But I did try many things now and it did cost me a lot of time and frustration. I will bring the playbook back to the store Monday.

Anyway, thx for your help.

Regards, John

Guru II

Sorry to hear. Its a great tablet. You just got a defective one.

New Contributor

Hi John,

It worked OK till the new releases. But with this problem I can not use it at work anymore. It takes to much time to boot up and It also needs the hard reset to boot.

I have it now for 10 moths. I agree it's a nice tablet. I use more then my iPad1. 

But as I say, the reset/reboot more times a day is frustrating and not acceptable. Hope it is a defect model.

How is the Blackberry service in Holland? Do you think they will replace the 10 moths old device?

Regards, John