Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Update 2.1.0.1314 is released

If your playbook is working fine and on the previous os version, why not simoly go to settings, software updates and do it by wifi?

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

After I posted my results, I read through much of the other postings and someone replying to other posts suggested doing it over WIFI. So this evening I did and in less than 30 minutes it was all done including the restart. Now too bad RIM did not tell everyone that when the update was released. So now I am an updated happier camper. Thanks all.

Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Bill_S wrote:

So now I am an updated happier camper. Thanks all.

Great, glad you got it upgraded!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: Virgin

Man I wish the 4GLTE Playbook would update I'm still on 2.0.1.668. I"m about to call my provider and bitch big time.

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Bill_S wrote:

After I posted my results, I read through much of the other postings and someone replying to other posts suggested doing it over WIFI. So this evening I did and in less than 30 minutes it was all done including the restart. Now too bad RIM did not tell everyone that when the update was released. So now I am an updated happier camper. Thanks all.

Funny. Did you ever noticed that this technology is based on "pay as you use"? I can't remember which of my many cell phones actually had a user manual. And now we use so called "smart phones ". You have to dig on the net and/or actually join user groups to figure out how some of the features work.  I just talked about this with some not too tech savvy friends who complained about their iPad. I guess it takes too much time and effort ($$$$) to create user manuals - even on line ones. I know, I wrote some at some time in my past. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

godot2011 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Funny. Did you ever noticed that this technology is based on "pay as you use"? I can't remember which of my many cell phones actually had a user manual. And now we use so called "smart phones ". You have to dig on the net and/or actually join user groups to figure out how some of the features work.  I just talked about this with some not too tech savvy friends who complained about their iPad. I guess it takes too much time and effort ($$$$) to create user manuals - even on line ones. I know, I wrote some at some time in my past. 

this information that there is no manual for the PlayBook is not correct.

Three sources accessible in less than 30 seconds:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The help function accessible from the PlayBook is incomplete. It covers the trivial and not much more. I tried to look up Encryption (available under Security) and came up with "No Search Results Fund".

Thanks for the link to point to the PDF manual. One should not have to join a forum to find it. Reference to the existence of this manual should be in packaged with each unit AND the Help should point to the availability of the PDF doc and how to get to it. Better yet,  Help should've an option to search this manual from the Help function.

Edited:

Reviewed both the HTML and the PDF versions. Lot's of good info. Still there is no description of the Encrypt feature. I would like to know how does it work, what are the benefits of encrypting my personal data. Because there is no request for additional password, which would be used to generate an Encryption key, as far as I can see anyone who can sign on to my PlayBook will have access to my data. 

Cheers 

Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

godot2011 wrote:

Thanks for the link to point to the PDF manual. One should not have to join a forum to find it.

I just did a Google search of "playbook support manual" and the first four links are english version of the manuals and the next several link to other language manual.

Official links. Not to this forum.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor

The point is that you should not have to 'Goggle it'.  The link should be available on the PlayBook Help say, "For more information click here (insert link) to access the full PlayBook manual" or something like it. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I believe there was a small paper leaflet in your PlayBook box, that states that you can find more documentation on blackberry.com.

I did not need to use a search engine to find the documentation. I went to blackberry.com and 15 seconds later I was on the page I gave you above.

1 go to blackberry.com (you should get to your local website, for example http://na.blackberry.com/)
2 in the top menu, choose the "Support" menu
3 in that menu, in the "Resources" column, choose "Manuals"
4 you get to the manuals page. on the left choose "BlackBerry Manuals" then "Tablets".

Of course it'd be better to have all that in the Help app. This is a main difference between the PlayBook tablet and the BlackBerry phones. But you're in 2013. If you do not find a paper manual, don't just sit there. The Internet is here and you know it, godot2011.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: