Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Update Failure

HELP!  During setup, Playbook tries to update software - after 8 tries it still says, "unable to install".  Can I skip this & go to the desktop?  If not, what are my options?  The only choices I am offered are "Retry" & "Turn Off".  Thanks for any help.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Update Failure

try the following. Turn off the playbook and start Desktop Manager. Once DM is running connect the powered off playbook via USB cable. Select update and follow the on screen instruction.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried it, but I get a message - "setup incomplete, disconnect & complete setup".  I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet & pay for some tech support.  Thanks again!

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Once you connect the PB to usb it will automatically start powering up, hit the power button to shut it down. You will then get a popup message on the Desktop software with 3 options , one of which is 'Update' but the PB has to be off or you'll get the other message. Click the update button and it'll start updating.

New Contributor

Thanks it worked!  I'm a happy camper again.

Forums Veteran I

Please give kudos to the person with your solution. and mark this as solved.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

I have tried this trick twice and everything starts well. Then, after 40 minutes of downloading, my Playbook suddenly turns on again and everything stops.  How can I get around this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

More info.

I watched more closely the third time I tried it and saw that the download completed and the install was at the very end when suddenly there was a "failed to install" message (Next time I will write down exactly what it says). Then the Playbook started and demanded to be connected to a wifi network.

I think something similar must have happened when I tried the setup on wifi at the library. I left the screen blank to save battery power (no electrical outlet) so I didn't see the entire sequence but after about an hour I got another update failed message.

If no one can help me with this specific problem, is there any place in Toronto where I can take this thing and get some hands-on help?

Forums Veteran I

Can you try using another wifi hot spot. Like McDonalds or Starbucks.