Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16
My Carrier: alaint

Re: Upset and not impressed

spot on all the app are for kIDS what give is this not a "PROFESSIONAL' Grade Tablet or jsut a kids toy?

RIM pelase chime in here and explain to uyse why it's more child oriented with these silly apps

eastcoastcreative
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi Dawn,

We're happy to help and will be happy to assist if you have any future questions (and thanks for using the kudo and accepted solutions buttons!). Smiley Happy

scocam, while I don't work for RIM and can't comment on their behalf, I can hopefully address your comment. At the end of the day apps are dependent on the developers. So if there are a lack of professional apps, that is because developers haven't developed them. But that's not to say it won't improve. Now that the additional SDKs are being published, developers will have a lot more tools to create apps that don't seem so "childish".

Now then, just as one more comment, don't expect RIM to respond here. This is a peer to peer forum to assist other users in obtaining support and to get users chatting. While RIM may occasionally monitor the conversations here, it is not the purpose of the forum to directly respond to questions like that. Maybe they will say something official at some point in the future, or maybe they will come up with incentives for developers to take the next step with their apps. But don't expect too much.

Enjoy!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9650
My Carrier: sprint

I like what Dawn had to say and I agree with her. Her insight was critical of the functions of the Playbook. Her Concerns are real and is something RIM needs to hear if they want to stay relevant.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

As a developer that took part in the free playbook offer, I too am horribly disgusted by the applications that were submitted and allowed.

I feel I put a decent amount of effort into my application, but it's still not quite where I want it to be. I need to clean up some of the user experience, and make a few parts more intuitive after field testing with friends.

On a side note, the development process has been anything but smooth:
- Extremely long delays without communication from RIM
- Poor tooling for development
- Developer support forums are riddled with beginner developers to take advantage of the free offer.

I'm just one guy, doing my thing, so it's kind of hard to say "Oh I want <some app>, I'm a developer, I'll just build it"... In a sense, I *can* do that, but in another if I try, it'll take me forever because I do mobile development on the side of my day job (also development).
I'm trying to team up with some developers I know to start providing solid, tested, and enhanced software; hopefully that starts to shape up within the next month!

I, like you all, am disappointed at the application selection... The few "apps" I enjoy are actually games, and honestly I only play them for a few minutes before getting bored thinking "this is just wasting my time."

*EDIT* I dont' want to give out my app name just yet, because I've been waiting for nearly 2 weeks for RIM to approve my updated version, which speeds up quite a bit of the UI (but having updated my tool set it also introduced a bunch of bugs that I'm working through). If you are so inclined to want to test for me Smiley Tongue Feel free to PM me for a link.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I cant believe all teh apps that are available now. There are plenty of good ones and even more to come.

My kids are overjoyed with their playbook and use it daily.

Just wait until Andriod apps are supported and you will have too many to choose from.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Developer

@knottyrope...

I think you unintentionally hit the nail on the head...

I'm not 100% sure about everyone on this thread, but I'm going to assume we're all adults. Specifically, professional adults...

This product is being marketed as the "world's first professional-grade tablet."

You state: "My kids are overjoyed with their playbook"...

I think you can identify the irony yourself.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

killerspaz wrote:

This product is being marketed as the "world's first professional-grade tablet."

That is exactly the problem.  I don't care how many apps there.  There can be 100, 1000, 100000.  As long as the three or four apps that I actually need to be able to do my work are there, I'll be happy.  Right now, those apps don't exist.  The apps that came with the Playbook are so stripped down that they are more an exercise in frustration than useful.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Mahjong to make me more productive at work.

New Developer

[ Edited ]

A little shameless plug here... I got so frustrated with what I coined as a name I'm not going to repeat (Smiley Tongue yes it's that bad) I rage blogged: http://blog.killerspaz.com/2011/02/26/a-plea-to-developers-and-markets/

Note: It's LONG!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

killerspaz wrote:
@knottyrope...

I think you unintentionally hit the nail on the head...

I'm not 100% sure about everyone on this thread, but I'm going to assume we're all adults. Specifically, professional adults...

I think you can identify the irony yourself.

HA HA, but you have to understand that this is a new OS, QNX has never done this before. It not like adding a big screen to an existing type of device like most others have. RIM made this from the bottom up and it the amount of apps available is great. Maybe not the ones you are looking for, but there are plenty of them coming and more added to app world every day.

My kids play games as they are 6 and dont need productivity apps. Any free game for them is like a huge reward and keeps me from using time outs on them. A game a week if they are good.

My wife is using a playbook and loves face book on it. She is also able to get her school email on it and access personal email. Her needs are simple and the PlayBook is more thatn what she needs.

If you love to press the same button al day long for everything then maybe an iThing is for you with its limited mutli tasking. The playbook multitasking is so good, I wish my PC was as fast and I am running a 3ghz dual core CPU with 6 gig RAM. heck these forums are slow on my PC compared to teh playbook.

If you have a need for an app or an idea, please suggest it instead of complaing.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Guru III
My Device:

Place your ideas here so developer will know.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Ideas-for-PlayBook-apps-wish-list...