Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

User ID LOCKED TO PREVIOUS OWNER

[ Edited ]

I purchased a Blackberry Playbook secodhand and it still has the former owners ID User name. I contacted the seller and they appear to have forgotten the password as they have asked me to activate the 'forgot my password' option. I have further emailed them to tell them that they must first provide the answer to the 'secret question'. I have also suggested that if they have forgotten both their password and secret question then they mat have to seek assistance from Blackberry. It's been a couple of days since I contacted the seller and still no further forward. Is there any other way of resolving is issue? Any assist would be much appreciated. The seller has responded that they will endeavour to provide assistance, however, as yet I am no further forward. If I can not resolve I will raise a dispute with eBay, however, reluctant to do so as I think this is simply a case where the former owner has genuinely forgot  their security details as according to the details given in their eBay auction they stated that they never got round to using the device. I have opened a user ID as (personal info removed)333@hotmail.com but of course I cannot link this to the playbook until gaining access to. The existing ID. I presume this is not the first case of this type and seek your assistance in finding a resolution.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: User ID LOCKED TO PREVIOUS OWNER

wiping it will remove the ID.

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Probably no point in doing the backup in this instance. 

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

true but hey might have taken a pic, vid or two they wish to save

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Forums Veteran I

If they use desktop software to backup, then change the BBID, they will not be able to restore it, surely.

If they have managed to get into it then copying the data by file sharing would possibly be better idea.  Doesn't sound like they even got into it yet.  

My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: O2

Many thanks to everyone that provided assistance. I'm pleased to report that previous owner eventually came up with correct ID thereby enabling me to amend user ID name and password. 

Guru III
My Device:

jarviser wrote:

If they use desktop software to backup, then change the BBID, they will not be able to restore it, surely.

If they have managed to get into it then copying the data by file sharing would possibly be better idea.  Doesn't sound like they even got into it yet.  

no but they could copy the just pics and vids once connected.

Forums Veteran I

From the .bbb file? Didn't know you could.  

My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

If you are using the previous owner's ID this is not very good. You will not be able to get messages from Blackberry for your tablet, unless you take over the asociated email account completely.

Personally, I would wipe the tablet and re-install the OS. Then go to the Blackberry site and create my own account using my own password.  Now the tablet will be truely yours.

Jerry G.