Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

Using SSH with Playbook

[ Edited ]

BlackBerry Playbook OS v2.0

BlackBerry phone 9870

SSH Software PaderSync SSH

Carrier: Bell Canada

I am trying to use a Playbook to connect remotely via SSH (using PaderSync SSH) to an office server while bridged to a BlackBerry phone but keep getting 'unable to connect' error. When I disconnect the bridge and connect remotely via a WiFi network only I have no problems using the exact same settings in PaderSync SSH. So, I don't think it is the application but rather some kind of restrictions on the phone.

To try to isolate the problem and make sure it isn't the PaderSync application, I have downloaded and installed a Telnet application. Again issues occur when bridged. The telnet application will not connect remotely when bridged to the phone but with WiFi everything works fine.

Is anyone able to shed some light on the issue and possible solutions to work around it?

Thank you

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Using SSH with Playbook

i was not able to get SSH working on Bridge either

it might not be a supported protocol

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Grrr. Not good. I was hoping to provide my client another solution instead of VPN for retrieval of files from their office server. VPN access is soooo slow.

I tried other port numbers (8022, 1022) on the router instead of the standard (22) with no luck. I even temporarily replaced the working port # 8080 to forward to port #22 on the server. From a desktop machine it worked on port 8080 but a bridged Playbook no go.

Anyone have suggestions on which ports MIGHT work or is it not a port # issue at all?

Thank you

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Wind Italy

In order to verify whether is a playbook problem or a phone problem you could try to install BBSSH on the phone (it's free) and try to SSH from the phone, if it will connect it's a playbook problem,otherwise of course it's a phone problem.

I think you have a BIS connection and not a BES connection so port 22/tcp could be not working for that reason.

My personal experience: I live in Italy and I cannot SSH directly to 22/tcp from the phone because of BIS, I have to do some NAT/port forwarding on some port >1024 in order to SSH properly.

I remember a Blackberry Technical Solution Center about this question but I am not able to find it.

Hope this helps

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Wind Italy

Sorry I forgot one more thing: if you don't want to forward a port to establish a VPN, you could consider using TCP connection with GPRS/EDGE/3G traffic (you could pay the traffic !) or, if your customer has a Lotus Domino server or Microsoft Exchange server, you can install Blackberry Enterprise Server Express which is free and it makes a direct connection with the same LAN where mail server is located and you could not need VPN connection anymore and reach port 22 directly.

New Contributor

My client had some time to play with this and found that if he first tethered the Playbook and phone he was then able to connect to the office server.

I guess I misunderstood how it all worked. I assumed that 'bridging' the devices was enough to make it work.

Just thought I would update the status in case others ran into similar issues.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

thanks for the update

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V