Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, Z30, Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Video Chat via Playbook PIN's, having problems...

I have two Playbooks on OS2.0 sharing the same Blackberry ID. I'm trying to use Video Chat via Playbook PIN's and I'm not having any luck. Call attempts fail with "The person you called is not currently available".

- both Playbooks have Accept Calls On
- both Playbooks are on the same home wi-fi network, i.e. same router
- the router has firewall enabled (Toggling off the firewall doesn't seem to help and I'd rather have it on. Skype works from the desktop computer with firewall on.)
- in Contacts, both Playbooks show each other with green video chat icons. Turning off Accept Calls will actually change the state of the video chat icon to gray, as expected. (The state change doesn't update immediately, but after a failed call.) This tells me that the Playbooks are talking to RIM's servers?
- I'm not getting the "A Firewall is preventing Video Chat from connecting" or "Unable to Connect to Server" error messages. http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26845 This leads me to believe that the Playbooks are able to see RIM's servers?
- Some people have reported that putting the Playbook in the DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) of the router works, but it's risky security-wise (The Playbook is open to the general internet.). My router only allows for one IP address in the DMZ, which isn't useful with my two Playbooks.
- The alternative to DMZ is port forwarding, which is more secure. My router only allows specific IP's to be used and since the Playbook IP's are dynamically allocated, setting this isn't helpful. http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26816

Could someone with two Playbooks sharing the same Blackberry ID's please try to use Video Chat via Playbook PIN's and report whether it works or not? I'd like to isolate out whether it's a problem with Video Chat or my router/home wi-fi.

Thank you!
Edit/Delete Message
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Video Chat via Playbook PIN's, having problems...

[ Edited ]

It won't work since they have the same blackberry ID.

I have tried many time and it won't work. Only the playbook that last connected to app world can use video chat.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Developer

In OS1.x.8, Playbooks were only allowed to Video Chat with different Blackberry ID's.

In OS2.0, Video Chat allows for Playbook PIN's and Blackberry ID's.  That's the test I'd like run.

New Developer

I started the same problem post on crackberry.com and two other Playbook users were able to run the test cases:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/video-chat-via-playbook-pins-having-problems-7...

Conclusion...

Video Chat:

2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 1 wi-fi network, use Playbook PIN's - doesn't work
2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 2 wi-fi networks, use Playbook PIN's - works
2 Playbooks, 2 Blackberry ID's, 1 wi-fi network - works

Since the case of 1 wi-fi network and 2 Blackberry ID's work, it must be a software issue, not a wi-fi network issue.

Can someone forward this to RIM development?  Or how do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780 bridged to Playbook 16G
My Carrier: Rogers

I can confirm the behaviours listed above.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Video Chat will not work between PlayBooks with the same BBID. See KB28543. Here is part of that.
Video Chat (PlayBook only)
Video Chat requests can only be received by one PlayBook at at time. If multiple PlayBooks are using the same BlackBerry ID, only one of them will receive an incoming Video Chat request
Connectivity will be sporadic between any active PlayBooks using the same BlackBerry ID.
New Developer

Wasn't one of the points of OS2.x to resolve the problem by allowing Playbook PIN's to be used instead?  It's been confirmed that two Playbooks, same BBID on separate wi-fi networks work.  On the same wi-fi network, it doesn't work.  What's the cause and can it be solved?  That's what I want to ask RIM.

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

I can't seem to connect with my folks via chat. 2 diff BBIDs one device in UK one in US, both on 2.0... always says "the contact is unavailable".

like above skype works via PC... doesn't seems to be a firewall issue... any help would be greatly appreciated.