Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Wind

Re: Video Recording Issues

[ Edited ]

I depended on the Playbook to record an important moment. I saw the feature available on the unit and decided to trust Blackberry. Trust was lost shortly thereafter. 

There are other videos on the playbook and the demo video, all play back fine--but it is a fail when it matters most. 

When I am on the front lines recording important moments, there are only so many devices I can carry with me. Something has to stay home. I am (especially now) in the market for a camcorder, and hoped that maybe the tablet could be a way to save money. There is also the issue that the BB tablet does not connect to Linux via USB, you have to do a network transfer. The computer recognizes by BB phone via USB easy enough, but not the playbook. 

My impression of Playbook was that it is meant to be used for work and is not meant to be a toy. I was using the tablet for something important. Certainly using a dedicated camera will give you higher quality results, but when you are loaded down with gear it would be nice if the tablet could just do the job. Also, people are not always fortunate to have their gear on at all times. Sometimes 'moments' happen and you grab what you have on hand like your cel phone camera or a functional tablet. 

Because the BB development team did not test the software thoughroughly and the BB executives rammed out the device while it was not finished pisses me off. This thing actually ought to work, we are in 2013 for goodness sake. The other impression I get is that BB is beta testing this software and are using us as guinea pigs to see where the errors are. Something like recording media in a legal context, business, insurance, breaking news--these things you cannot mess with 'software glitches'. BB phones are used by institutions/business because it is rock solid. I expected the same of the Playbook.  I expect these problems from an emerging company, not BB. 

I have a 4 year old niece who would love this device because clearly the Playbook is not meant for serious business. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Tomorrow I will do a video test with my PlayBook. I will charge it up to 100% , set it up, start the recording and let it run beyond the time you ran your recording. I will report back afterwards with the results. I can understand your frustration. Back in the days of film. I was taking wedding photos. I used 24 exposure film. When the counter was showing 28 pictures taken I was getting a bit worried. Turns out there was no film in the camera. Makes you feel pretty small.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
Tomorrow I will do a video test with my PlayBook. I will charge it up to 100% , set it up, start the recording and let it run beyond the time you ran your recording. I will report back afterwards with the results. I can understand your frustration. Back in the days of film. I was taking wedding photos. I used 24 exposure film. When the counter was showing 28 pictures taken I was getting a bit worried. Turns out there was no film in the camera. Makes you feel pretty small.

Well I just used the Playbook to record a Video at 720p, and it did stopped on its own after 01:08:19, but the video is very good, and it has a size of 3.7Gb

This was done on a Playbook 64Gb with 43Gb free

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

The PlayBook is a business device - just not for your business.  Enterprise focuses on communication and security, both things that the PlayBook (with OS2.1) does better than anything else I've tried.  Your argument is flawed - my "business" is in construction and the PlayBook makes a poor hammer.  The "business tool" in this case refers to offices that require secure email and high productivity when it comes to scheduling and communication.  Nothing referred to as a generic business tool will ever be targeted towards the photography business.

The only reason video cameras seldom have hiccups (and, yes, they still do) is because they run dedicated embedded software that has one purpose and one purpose only - to take videos and photos.  Once that system is expanded to include email, browsing, music, games, etc., no company has the time to exhaustively test every possible scenario.  You will always have bugs in these advanced operating systems, whether it is Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, or BBOS and even QNX.  The fact that no one here has experienced this issue - and with only one other known case amongst us - speaks volumes to the stability of the PlayBook camera.  I use it daily to record in 1080p and have never lost a video, or even had one become unreadable.

Forums Veteran I

Here is my Video results. My PlayBook is 64 GB, OS Version is 2.1.0.1314. Prior to the video I had 46.7 GB of free space, afterwards I had 43.1 GB remaining. The video was at 720p and it ran non- stop for 1 hour and 5 minutes exactly. The battery ran from 100% to 70% and the end. The screen was full size all the time and the image was excellent. When I stopped the video, the green bulls eye circled twice, I guess that was the saving process.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Yup, it works! The OP had an oops moment, that's all. 

Second Video Test results- Today I did a video at 1080p. WiFi was off. The PlayBook is 64 GB with 46.7 GB of free space. Battery was 100% at start and 82% at end. The video ran for 33 minutes and 42 seconds when it automatically stopped and a message appeared on the screen saying the maximum file size was reached. The file was 3.7 GB in size. I looked at the recording, excellent quality. I will look at it later on a 55 inch LED TV.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Good work. That seems to confirm 3.7GB as the max filesize for recording.

So looks like rule of thumb, aim for an hour at 720p or half an hour at 1080p . 

My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Wind

Why have the feature if it will not perform when it needs to? A company has to take ownership of the features it offers, including running scenarios. They have the budget for it. After the device records video, it must go into 'standby' to process. To have stuff disappear so easily means the feature is not yet ready to be introduced. I agree with the earlier post that it is a software issue. I recorded, then when I went to playback what I recorded, the data disappeared. Most machines will do 'please stand by, processing'. The playbook did not and it was too late, the data just evaporated without warning.

This is what you can expect from closed source software. If BB cannot handle these scenarios (like introducing standby post-processing), then they must open the source and let the community hack away and come up with something functional. It is the community using the device after all.

Forums Veteran I

I can only say, my PlayBook has recorded properly, everytime and I have never lost anything. To me it is dependable. If you lost something you consider very valuable, maybe there were others who recorded the same thing. Contact them and ask for a copy.