Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

Video format unsupported

I used to watch movies on my playbook. But after updating firmware when I try to play any video from the library I get an error that video format is not supported. Both .avi and .mkv videos are unplayable now, but they were working before the update. Why does this happen and is there a way to fix it?

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: Video format unsupported

nikmaster wrote:

I used to watch movies on my playbook. But after updating firmware when I try to play any video from the library I get an error that video format is not supported. Both .avi and .mkv videos are unplayable now, but they were working before the update. Why does this happen and is there a way to fix it?

Are these the exact same video files (the same titles) you were viewing previously or are they new video files? .avi and .mkv files are just containers and are dependent on how the videos were encoded in the first place. If the method of encoding the new files has changed then you could run into problems. There was a new OS update just released that fixed an issue with MP4 files. Also, what OS version are you running?

This is the official supported media types PDF on the PlayBook: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27267/Supported_Media_Types_on_BlackBerr...

Trusted Contributor

These are exactly same files. I have not even moved them from playbook. I am running 2.1.0.1314

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

As far as we can work out, the latest patch was only an upgrade to Flash and to Adobe Air. The QNX kernel has not changed.

I have updated from 2.0.X to this version. Looks like even mp4 videos are not working anymore.