Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: 02
Accepted Solution

Virus protection on Blackberry Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hi Do I need virus protection on the Blackberry Playbook?

Or is virus protection already built in.  Someone told me it was but I am not sure.  Everything needs virus protection don't it?

Thanks.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Virus protection on Blackberry Playbook

Nope, you wont need it for the Playbook.

http://www.qnx.com/popups/index.html?topic=3545&popupw=1000&popuph=800

"There are no existing virus or malware scanners for the QNX Neutrino RTOS and QNX Software Systems does not anticipate a need for these types of products."

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Concurring with Wolf.

You can't create virus protection from a virus for which there is no virus. Remember, Virus software like norton's is designed AFTER the fact according to malicious code found in other virus, and designed to detect that code.

No virus has every infected a BlackBerry or Playbook, therefore there is no need for such.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

While I agree that the Virus protect is not needed for the Blackberry because of QNX ... The real problem is that we do sometimes receive files and send files that may have viruses on them ... So having something that could scan the files would go a long way to protecting more than just our devices....

On my BSD systems(which are very secure) I have ClamAV that runs scans on files that I receive on the system. and on some Linux systems I have installed Avast to do regular scans.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if you have an infect file on playbook and connect to a PC with out protection, yes your PC can get infected. So you really only need to worry about other devices and not the playbook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Granted just trying to raise the bar on file sharing ediquette.   If i am sharing files with another network and they have not done their due diligence.  Security and protection only really begins to work if we all are part of prevention.  

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

m_saulnier wrote:

Granted just trying to raise the bar on file sharing ediquette.   If i am sharing files with another network and they have not done their due diligence.  Security and protection only really begins to work if we all are part of prevention.  

So you are going to use your Playbook to scan every business file you receive before forwarding it on?  Good luck. 

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

Well AVG do provide a version for Blackberry but whether you really need it or not I don't know.

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/?did=678

Roger

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

rogprov wrote:

Well AVG do provide a version for Blackberry but whether you really need it or not I don't know.

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/?did=678

Roger

Only for the limited reasons given above. AVG finds Windows viruses.

The fact that you need to sideload a converted android app shows that BlackBerry don't think you need it whereas andrloid devices are full of holes. 

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If your PC is protected, then there is no worry about what might be on the PlayBook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code