Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: brighthouse

WEP problems with Playbook

I have a problem configuring the playbook to interface with my WiFi network.  Note that to work around the problems, I have 2 wifi networks in the house - an open network which connects directly to my ISP, and a secure wifi which is used for an inside network (windows machines + server).  It is this latter network connection which fails.

The secure wifi is configured 802.11b, WEP key (40 bit hex key), key index 3, static IP and dns/router points.  I see no way to configure the key index.  I assume that the WEP Password field on the setup screen will automatically determine that the key being entered is hex vs passphrase, and the number of bits.

I need to access the secure wifi in order to use Mark/Space missing sync software.  Changing the configuration is difficult because it means changing all machines which access the secure network.

Random Point of Information - Apple products will also not interface with the secure network.  This is because Apple does not implement, nor claim to implement 802.11.  Instead, their products are only compatible with Apple AirPort.  Any other compatibility is a happy accident.  If you leave a wifi connection open, it will connect to that.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: WEP problems with Playbook

I suspect that your router is fairly old. I had a similar problem and with the help of the ISP I was able to get the PlayBook connected. It was quite involved I would say and there is no way I could have done it without their help.
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Playbook expects a 10 character password in hex characters (0 thru 9 plus a thru f)  When I connect to my BT hub it accepts the 10 character one fine

If the router  shows a 5 (ASCII) character password you need to either change it to display hexadecimal, or take the 5 character password to an online ASCII to Hex converter and input the coverted hex one into Playbook.

eg ASCII password PLAYB in hex is 504c415942

________
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: brighthouse

FWIW:

1.  I am one of the original developers of 802.11b.  At one time the company I worked for made over 90% of all wifi chipsets and our chips were embedded in the products of most suppliers (netgear, dlink, microsoft, etc.)

2.  The AP I use internally is fairly old, and I also have options turned on there that most people would probably not use.  But I am also interfacing to some appliances which are quite old now and I still use on a daily basis.  Palm stuff for one.

3.  General gripe - while applicable to playbook, it is not exclusive to playbook.  If you're going to claim WiFi/802.11 compliance, than you should be compliant; not sort-of, mostly compliant, but fully compliant.  Unfortunately there is no equivalent of WHQL testing outside the windows world to verify this.

4.  I suspect the problem is my use of key indexing.  I suspect the playbook is not supporting this feature.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

pbrownll wrote:

FWIW:

1.  I am one of the original developers of 802.11b.  At one time the company I worked for made over 90% of all wifi chipsets and our chips were embedded in the products of most suppliers (netgear, dlink, microsoft, etc.)

2.  The AP I use internally is fairly old, and I also have options turned on there that most people would probably not use.  But I am also interfacing to some appliances which are quite old now and I still use on a daily basis.  Palm stuff for one.

3.  General gripe - while applicable to playbook, it is not exclusive to playbook.  If you're going to claim WiFi/802.11 compliance, than you should be compliant; not sort-of, mostly compliant, but fully compliant.  Unfortunately there is no equivalent of WHQL testing outside the windows world to verify this.

4.  I suspect the problem is my use of key indexing.  I suspect the playbook is not supporting this feature.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

3. I am not claiming anything to except free medication. I am a retired engineer and a fellow user of Playbook trying to help. If you want to complain to RIM I suggest you contact them, not a user forum. 

4. It seems to be your router setup problem, not Playbook's. Many playbooks connect via WEP including mine,  though the encryption is now predicated. That's why 802.11 n compliance by Blackberry was only approved by the eyes in the sky if they predicated WPA along with WEP .

________