Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: bell

Re: WLAN Problem since 2.0.1.358

My playbook is working again with my wi-fi at home - what was the fix - turning off the N band on the router.

I simply removed N band from the 2.4 side of the router. then tried to connect and instant perfect access again.

Whatever the issue is with the .358 update it is related to the N band.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to fix wifi problems --- step by step.

(1) update your router's firmware

(2) use the most basic configuration first --- G only, WPA2/AES

(3) N-only, WPA2/AES 

(4) DD-WRT users --- set ACK Timing to auto (i.e. for Atheros chipset, it is 0).

(5)  Turn WMM settings on and off to see if there is a problem.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9000
My Carrier: MTS(Russia)

[ Edited ]

Who can give the link on tutorial on how to do a complete re-install using the desktop software(i have now 2.0.1.358)...WiFi somtimes works(for several minutes), but most time it cant find WiFi spots, if it find and connect to it-NO INTERNET.

(sorry for poor english)

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb, Bold 9700
My Carrier: BT

Hi,

Look at this for instructions, 3rd post, it worked for me but took an hour or so!:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Software-Update-Interrupted-version-2-0-1...

Chris

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9000
My Carrier: MTS(Russia)

[ Edited ]

thx...found that if PB is not activated i cant reinstall OS...and if you have problems with wifi it is difficult to  activate...i activated my PB...reinstalled OS but no result...still no have internet...

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb, Bold 9700
My Carrier: BT

Sorry to hear that, don't know what to suggest, hope you find a solution !!!

Chris
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Hello Janetsa,

I believe you may have an error in step 2 (at least with some router manufacturers). For G only mode using WPA2 has a cipher type of TKIP and not AES. If the cipher type is set to AES, then wireless N mode will occur. Otherwise it bumps it down to G speeds. I came to this conclusion from trial and error as well as verification from Wikipedia:

TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol)  The RC4 stream cipher is used with a 128-bit per-packet key, meaning that it dynamically generates a new key for each packet. Used by WPA. CCMP  An AES-based encryption mechanism that is stronger than TKIP. Sometimes referred to as AES instead of CCMP. Used by WPA2. With some hardware manufacturers, AES-CCMP must be set to enable 802.11n high bitrate schemes.[21] Otherwise, the data rate will not exceed 54 Mbit/s. (which is G speeds)
Full Wikipedia article (boring read).

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

I have found a solution that enables me to get my Playbook and all other devices in my house to get on ONE wireless network connecting at N speeds INCLUDING the Playbook thanks to two members of the forums from www.Crackberry.com. (Major thanks goes to members Eli.Bret and PatrickMJS for their help!) My router is a D-Link 825 and I have attached settings images to help you. It turns out the Channel Width setting had to be changed to 20 MHz from 20/40 MHz or just 40 MHz. If I did not do this I would have problems with the Playbook. Both Eli.Bret and PatrickMJS both had this setting changed to 20 MHz. I did NOT initially. It was set to 20/40 MHz initially.

In short, here are the settings for the 2.4 GHz radio:

802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11 G and 802.11 N

Enable Auto Channel Scan

Channel Width: 20 MHz

Wireless Security Mode: WPA-Personal

WPA Mode: WPA2 Only (the most secure)

Cipher: AES (the strongest type)

Here are the settings for the 5 GHz radio:

802.11 Mode: 802.11 N Only

Enable Auto Channel Scan

Channel Width: 20 MHz

Wireless Security Mode: WPA-Personal

WPA Mode: WPA2 Only (the most secure)

Cipher: AES (the strongest type)

Use the SAME SSID name too for both radios.

Anyhow, here is a copy/paste of my last post over there that will explain things better:

I have managed to get everything online on the SAME network now at N speeds on the D-link 825. One of my desktops gets 144 Mbps. My laptop only gets 65 Mbps though but the Playbook now gets 65 Mbps!!! That's up from 54 Mbps on G speeds.

The problem seemed to be the channel width setting. It was really the only different setting I had to change. If I set it to Auto 20/40 MHz, it would kill the Playbook connection rate. I mean web pages wouldn't ever fully load and the blue status bar would never reach the end of the interface. It would just stall out. Didn't matter which webpage I loaded either.

Now, the laptop took a speed hit by doing this setting change though. It went from 144 Mbps down to 65 Mbps and would not go any higher with this channel width change unless I turned it to 40 MHz or to 20/40 MHz. Again, if I did this, the Playbook connection stopped...

I also didn't touch any other default setting with the router. WMM remained enabled and Short GI also remained enabled.

desktop-connection-speed.jpg

Playbook-Wireless-Settings.jpg

desktop-connection-speed.jpg

laptop-connection-speed.jpg

Dlink825RouterSettings20-09-2012 10-10-13 PM.png

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Good work!

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at my thread solving my WiFi issue. It has that same 20 40 info in it

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Netgear-WVPN824-WiFi-issue-co...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V