Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g
My Carrier: ATT

Re: WTF - why are the bridge contacts email calendar not integrated???

Here is a simple article for the uninformed about common cloud services:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/privacy-paranoia-5-companies-think-twice-trusting-154315...

I know this is a deviation to this thread but it is part of this discussion about methods of syncronizing contact/calendar data with the PlayBook.

My Device: BB PlayBook
My Carrier: TDC

scottpm wrote:
You make this a bit confusing by using a double negative... You should have simply said "I am not saying that I think your use is invalid" -  actually noticed you used a double negative in the first sentence as well.Stop that!! Smiley Happy

I will try to do better in the future Smiley Tongue My English is not the best I know.

Explain why I can sync my BB Torch with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and not worry about security) and why I cannot sync my Playbook with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and now I have to worry about security?).

Thanks

I was talking about moving emails from the bb phone to the playbook. Do you sync your phone with your outlook by Cable? I did that with my PalmII Smiley Wink I'm guessing that feature should be easy to incorporate, might be done in the pc software?

Norwegian and a BB/PB user. Read what I mean, not what I spell.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

"Explain why I can sync my BB Torch with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and not worry about security) and why I cannot sync my Playbook with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and now I have to worry about security?)."

Because if my 9800 gets stolen or lost I can remotely lock the phone, wipe the data from it and track it's location, with the PB I can't and that's why even if they integrate all the mail and contact details I will still be using the Bridge to my phone!

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: rogers

tried it : does not do what you want
New Contributor

I did get my contacts integrated by syncing my computer Mac address book with my gmail address book. Then I added gmail as a new account on the Playbook. Still dont have the calendar integrated though. I do calendar entries on my phone a lot because it is small and easy to carry. I am also very disappointed that I now have another calendar to integrate on my own. Takes a lot of time to do this stuff .
New Contributor

After a week of stewing about this issue of nice new calendar/contacts and how they are not integrated with my computer and my phone I am so glad I am not alone in my frustration and time spent.  The gmail contact list tip did work though.  I assume that if I was able to sync my computer calendar with gmail that would work too.  I am going to try that. But WHY?   And where is the the little trash can on the contact list so I can delete entries ?  

Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

AA388 wrote:
"Explain why I can sync my BB Torch with my Outlook..."

Because... with the PB I can't and that's why even if they integrate all the mail and contact details I will still be using the Bridge to my phone!

hmm.... I am sure the people at RIM have heard about passwords; pretty sure they could implement that security feature.

99% of the people out there are not able to crack passwords... and, given the popularity of the device, I would bet that there are zero programs floating about that would crack the password protection on a playbook.

BTW, this is a distraction from the point of the thread, which was just to rant about there being two contact, calendar and email apps, instead of just one for each program. I am sure, if RIM wanted to spend the money on programming, they could have implemented the bridge as a datasource for the new and much improved calendar, contact and email apps. They chose not to because it cost them less $$ (my guess).

anyone at RIM care to refute?