Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

WTF - why are the bridge contacts email calendar not integrated???

After all the bad press I would have thought that RIM would have pulled out the stops to put out an OS that really worked... you know what they say about holding your breath - don't.

Why, after taking all this time, did the powers that be, decide that it wasn't a good idea to enable the playbook to have a single contact list, single, integrated email program and a single calendar program? I use outlook in my office. My phone syncs with outlook. Why does the native calendar, email program and contact list in playbook not list my phone (a torch), as a source to get its information from?

Why am I using seperate, lame, bridge applications to see the info on my phone??

I must say that I am impressed that RIM finally realised that they only need one web browser on the playbook... dah.. why don't we programatically figure out the connection being used... that way the user doesn't have to make two seperate bookmark list and generate two seperate histories.... good thinking !

Here is another good idea... enable me to use ONE program to manage my contacts, ONE program to manage my email, ONE program to manage my calendar.... give me the choice pick the bridge as my source for the list of contacts, email, date (if that is whazt I want to do).

If you guys have to stay up late tonight to get it done, sorry, but you should have thought of it sooner.

If I am missing something please feel free to call me an **bleep**. Don't think I am...

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: WTF - why are the bridge contacts email calendar not integrated???

Have you tried using the the "Link Contact" feature in the Contacts app to merge entries together?

I wonder if that will serve your need?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook & Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

I could not make any use of the link contact feature to solve this problem.

I really like that I have all email, calendar and contact data stored on the phone and replicated on the tablet for comfortable managing and working. But basically the interfaces of these functionalities are unchanged, and while the "native" apps are looking great it is pointless for someone using a BB phone to have to replicate contacts, calendars, etc. and snyc them separately from the phone just to get the same experience.

Is these really no way to have the nice new messaging/calendar/contacts interfaces use data from the phone?
Hopefully I just missed some option that will do the trick..
Contributor

Can someone at RIM please explain the thinking behind this move? Realise this is a support forum supported by users, but I am pretty sure that the RIM people will be looking at these threads today to catch the feedback... Pipe up, even if you wish to remain anonymous.

Why is there not a single contact application on the playbook?

Why am I not able to sync the contacts on my playbook with either A) my BB phone via the bridge or B) with my computer via the Desktop Manager software?

Why is it you choose to keep separate bridge apps for the items already mentioned?

I like the device and I like what you have done with the native apps... but you have left me with a device that is about as useful as it was before 2.0, which is "not very".

Contributor

>>Have you tried using the the "Link Contact" feature in the Contacts app to merge entries together?

Have no idea how this would work... could you explain?
Contributor

bump

bump?

You just posted this thread less than four hours ago.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

[ Edited ]

yeah, sorry... guess I am a little impatient. ... just a result of having waited so long for for a OS release that might finally make the device useful, only to feel let down. 

I understand.

There's lots of new stuff in this OS, lots to discover and figure out.

We're volunteers, not RIM employees and we don't have seekrit keys to the hidden help files.

If you really want to know right now, you might try calling your PlayBook support line.

Otherwise, it may take some learning to discover some answers and solutions.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I called support about this issue.  They said you need to buy Mobile Mobile Fusion and then put it on your Enterprise server and then get your IT administrator to set it up for you and you are all set.  Essentially your chances of getting your Outlook email, calendar, and contracts are about as good as climbing Mt. Everest wearing nothing but a Speedo.  Very disapointed.