Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: 3068622107

Re: Why is the tablet so cheap at the moment...I am deciding if its worth buying one Any help would be appreciated

Yes I would of bought the 16GB one myself.. but I think it all sold out

or at least for the half price deal so i went for the 32GB instead

I also have the defender case for my playbook this will keep it in perfect shape

yup i agree the PB is here to stay i ain't complaining

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Re: Why is the tablet so cheap at the moment...I am deciding if its worth buying one Any help would be appreciated

[ Edited ]

BestBuy - 32GB Lenovo 10.1" tablet - $299.99 this weekend.

Staples Business Depot - 32GB Motorola Xoom - $388.00 this weekend.

And those are Android tablets that will run Google Maps and Skype TODAY - no waiting with fingers-crossed.

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin

I bought mine last week - purchased the blackberry faux leather case that allows you to wedge the playbook so that it self supports.

I'm pretty pleased - I'm using my netbook to type this not the playbook my daughters on her laptop playing sims. I use my galaxy s2 for maps. Tonight she'll be on the playbook using the facebook app it is so portable.

Did we need a playbook probably not but for £169 for the 16gb with the promise of android apps with the OS2 it seemed a fair bet.

It's built to a high standard and has excellent screen image quality - I use googlemail on it no problem - browser is great - it plays back pictures, video, can play e books, games.

I think I can pair it with my android phone for roaming data or I can use BT openworld that comes with my broadband. Plus everywhere has free wifi these days anyhow.

Let's see how far RIM develop the software but I like it.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

dc-it wrote:

Whilst it would be great if Google maps work, I can make do with Bing maps as well as the MapApp available.

dc-it, since Day One, i've been using Google Maps on the Playbook... look for "MapApp" in AppWorld on the Playbook.

Perfect Google Maps... no driving directions, though.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

Yes I've also downloaded MapApp since day one and use it in conjunction with Bing Map.
MapApp uses the nicer Google map but Bing Map allows you to plot your route from point A to your destination which is more useful.
I hope that Google maps can be fully functionable in PB in the near future as I can use it to send GPS routes to my vehicle in-dash NAV which is a great feature not available in MapApp or Bing Map.
But for now the PB is great for general use and it's smaller size is a huge + over the typical tablet.
My PC/laptop/netbook are currently gathering dust while I enjoy the convenience + portability of the PB.
DC-IT
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

I would like to know this as well. I had a good look at one in Dixons at Luton Airport where the price was very attractive.

Then I have Googled all the available apps which, admittedly are many fewer than for the ipad but plenty anyway.

I like the size better than the ipad.

It is very tempting so - why so cheap?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Why so cheap... because it hasn't sold well, RIM wants to move the inventory, and of course, for the seller, half the money is always better than "none" of money.

It's a good buy and useful device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Amazon's Kindle and HP's firesale changed the landscape. The tablet is becoming a "commodity" and the currency for user growth and company profits comes from app sales.

I believe RIM must not chase the # of App games, because it does not have the developer base for which to compete with Android.

What RIM must do is continue to go for EA, Gameloft, and big companies who can port games over and sell them for $0.99 - $6.99.

$61M in revenue for each 850,000 user buying 12 games at $6 is a start.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Contributor
My Device: TORCH
My Carrier: VODAFONE

A POSITIVE COMMENT  from me

I have now bought four BB PBs to bridge to our Torches.

At £200 (UK) for the 32Mb version these are a "No Brainer" purchase.

Problems: very very few. Firstly ensure that your BB (Torch) and all its apps (& BBM) are fully up to date. The bridging and tethering work almost perfectly - just occasionally the bluetooth connection is dropped and BOTH BB and PB need to be rebooted.

In the car the BB talks seemlessly to the car audio systems, hands free on the car works perfectly over bluetooth and then the PB  bridge works perfectly in the background making the combination a business no brainer.

The videoconference  thingy works well ( I do resent Skype video not working though the IMO workaround for Skype voice does work.)

Make sure that your PC Desktop software is the latest version.

The USB to the PC only allows access to PB data storage via network USB and then only when desktop software is running: took a while to crack that one. But it works well.

The grphics are superb. The sound is OK. I'd like a recommendation for the best headphones to use with it.

I think the PB is a quality product (dreadfully marketed) ... but I cannot see why non-BB folk would buy it.

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

How did you the audio to work in the car...and can you use the buttons on the steering wheel to control... I was not aware the pb had the ability to transmit sound over bluetooth...