Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Why no ability to sync with Mac's iCal & Address Book or Entourage???

I just purchased the Playbook, and did the upgrade. I had heard much about the native calendar, contact and email clients. I read the Blackberry Desktop talking points, which lead me to believe that the Playbook would sync with my Mac iCal & Address Book and/or Entourage Calendar & Contacts. No such luck. I know there is a workaround via synching with Google calendar and contacts, but I am not interested in having my private data available to be potentially hacked. I understand the Blackberry phines can sync - why on earth would RIM not set it up so there Playbook - a business tool, can sync with a computer? Please explain to me why. Please show me how I have not thrown away my money on a recreational rather than business device, because I don't see it

R. P. McMurphy

Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Why no ability to sync with Mac's iCal & Address Book or Entourage???

I agree. You can sync both iCal & Address Book to the phone through the Blackberry Desktop Software so would have thought RIM would do the same with the Playbook.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9800; Blackberry PlayBook

JL42 wrote:

I agree. You can sync both iCal & Address Book to the phone through the Blackberry Desktop Software so would have thought RIM would do the same with the Playbook.

The issue is that RIM is changing the positon of the PlayBook to take advantage of the latest and greatest technologies out there, and like it or not Cloud computing is the next big thing.  I'm not a fan of the decision, but that's the way that the tech industry is going.  The PlayBook Contacts and Calendar apps are built from the ground up to provide a managed, unified view of all of your cloud services: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, CalDAV, CardDAV, etc.  As such, desktop sync isn't in the cards anymore.

If you don't want to use Google, but you have a Mac, have you tried using iCloud?  I believe that iCloud uses CardDAV (address book sync) and CalDAV (calendar sync). 

Contributor

I can understand the thinking behind it but... Anyway, have been trying the iCloud route but can't seem to get it to work. Not quite sure what i am doing wrong unless I'm not getting the right server address.

Contributor

JL42 wrote:

I can understand the thinking behind it but... Anyway, have been trying the iCloud route but can't seem to get it to work. Not quite sure what i am doing wrong unless I'm not getting the right server address.

Do you have access to an iPod or iPhone that has iCloud compatibility?  If so, maybe you can see what the server settings are set to on those devices?  I'd love to provide more information, but Apple left me in the dust when they stopped supporting my platform (OS X 10.5 Leopard; iCloud requires at least 10.7!!).

Contributor

I just upgraded mainly for the cloud and so far (touch wood) no major problems. Unfortunately no access to an iPhone, or iPod etc. Although I'm a staunch Mac fan I prefer the Blackberry phone and in spite of some of the frustrations prefer using the PB over the iPad.

New Contributor

Although I do not have one, I believe the iPad can sync with the calendars and contacts...and Apple is the one that has the iCloud system - so if their tablet can do it, why not the Playbook? I am sorry, but your response, if that be the response of RIM, speaks to their inability to assess and serve customer requirements.

New Contributor

Fed up and giving up...

I am sick and tired of trying to make Playbook work as a useful business tool. I can't sync calendars or contacts. I have spent hours trying to set up workarounds, and finally concluded, Why the hell am I trying to fix this thing? RIM should have done it right from the outset". I give up. I am giving this useless glorified iPod to my kid and I will get an iPad - a device which actually works

Contributor

Re: Fed up and giving up...

McMurphy wrote:

I am sick and tired of trying to make Playbook work as a useful business tool. I can't sync calendars or contacts. I have spent hours trying to set up workarounds, and finally concluded, Why the hell am I trying to fix this thing? RIM should have done it right from the outset". I give up. I am giving this useless glorified iPod to my kid and I will get an iPad - a device which actually works

I'm confused.  You said in your original post that, "I know there is a workaround via synching with Google calendar and contacts, but I am not interested in having my private data available to be potentially hacked." I hope you realize that the only reason an iPad, iPod, and Mac can synchronize is that they use iCloud.  Which means that you are still putting your data in the cloud.  Native Macintosh Calendar and Contacts work off of the cloud, period.  So if you are willing to go to iCloud, why not go to Google services instead?

I've successfully managed to integrate all of my data from every source: BlackBerry Phone, Desktop, LinkedIn, Facebook,  Twitter, Funambol, etc. 

I am sorry, but your response, if that be the response of RIM, speaks to their inability to assess and serve customer requirements.

Sorry to break it to you, but because a very small subset of customers don't want to use the cloud, you expect further and further delays so that RIM could build a cable-based sync tool? The number of users who don't use cloud computing are now in the minority.  It's just the way it is.  The whole purpose of the native calendar and contact applications is to integrate your data from multiple sources.  Those who are complaining about not being able to sync their phone to their tablet are missing one very important point: From the ground up, BlackBerry phones were built to use BES; using BIS was a happy subset of functionality which came years after BES!  Since BlackBerry's are built from the ground up to support BES, and BES works off of Exchange, and the PlayBook can natively support Exchange, what is the issue???

Workarounds exist for those of us who aren't using the PlayBook or BlackBerry phone in corporate BES environments.

New Contributor

Re: Fed up and giving up...

Sir:

I am a lawyer. I would not have many clients if they were aware I was uploading their confidential data to some offsite place which may be hacked, or, depending on its privacy policy from day to day, may decide to data-mine the info in order to sell ads to its clients. The information I have is privileged - which means it goes only on my private computer.

Obviously you are content with the Playbook. Good for you that you have been able to integrate all of your data...that means nothing to me. The issue is not that i cannot do what you have done, only that I will not do it.

Now I have a iPhone. It syncs directly to my MacBook Pro - calendar & contacts. I do not even have an iCloud account, so it appears you don't know what you are talking about when you that syncing must be done so through a cloud.

Finally, whoile it is clear from your comments and posts that you are an apologist for RIM's shortcominsg with the Playbook etc. I am not interested in trying rationalize or accomodate or to fiddle with things to try to make an item almost worthwhile. I want a system that actually works out of the box - not so-so after hours of working with it. RIM apparently does not get that - which explains so much of their current predicament when you think about it.

Anyway, it matters not. I have given my glorified iPod to my child, and I will buy an iPad - a tablet which actually does what I want it to do.