Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Virgin mobile
Accepted Solution

Wi-Fi Sharing -- problem

In Windows Explorer, my wireless network shows my PlayBook to be present, but if I try to 'expand' it I always get a wireless network error, "Windows cannot access \\PLAYBOOK-D96E". I'm logged onto my PlayBook, and WiFi sharing is turned on.

"D90E" is the last four characters of my PlayBook's PIN; is that how the WiFi device name for my network was created?

Thanks for any help.

(BTW, I've used USB sharing successfully several times.)

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Re: Wi-Fi Sharing -- problem

how to wireless transfer
this method works every time....

-turn on file sharing and wifi sharing in the playbooks options under sharing and storage.
-check which ip your pb has grabbed from the router by going to wifi and clicking the symbol with the waves and a question mark in the bottom left hand corner. then from the drop down menu select internet connection and the first number is you pb's ip.

-then on you pc go to the run command (windows button + r) and type //192.168.0.xxx
where xxx is replaced with your pb's ip..

For mac/linux it is...
smb://192.168.0.xxx
you type this into the address bar in the file explorer.
Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

some routers will have different ip's ie. 192.168.1.1, but this will show on your pb...
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick fix!

The device name--PLAYBOOK-D96E (in this case)--should be a 'label' for the PlayBook's IP. So where do you think the error is when Windows Explorer can't connect? Is it in the PlayBooks OS??
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Virgin

Problem I have is that when the IP address appears in the Network list on the PC but when I try to select anything it comes up with the standard windows 'Connect To' login screen asking for a userid and password that I don't use for anything else. I've set a password on the playbook but don't have a userid....and windows looks as if it is asking me to log into windows for permission to access the playbook rather than this being a logon to the playbook itself?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Jeremy 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for posting the tip. Does this mean I have use the run command every time i want access my playbook over my wifi network?

Regular Contributor

Using the 'Run' command, and typing in your PB IP worked for me when I tried it a month or so ago, but now it won't work  ...and I don't know why.

I think that if you set an IP address for your PB (as opposed to 'set IP automatically'), your connection as set up above should be permanent.

I'm hoping that OS2 will solve some of these user problems!

(If I find a solution to why I can't get my PB to be listed in my network, I'll post the solution.)

Regular Contributor

Sorry, Jeremy, for not seeing your post a month ago!

I am currently unable to get my PB listed in my network, and I don't know why ...so I can't offer any advice right now.

I hope OS2 will solve some of these user problems.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

thanks for the info

Contributor
My Device: Storm - PB
My Carrier: telus

I tried this and I was still not able to connect. I get the message the Windows is unable to find //192.168.2.101 (the IP addresss of the playbook)

Sharing is on and works with the USB

I can ping the address and get a response

I can use the internet from the playbook

I can not see it from two different computers on this network

??