Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon

WiFi problems right out of the box

I took advantage of the recent price drop for the Playbook and ordered the 32GB version.  I received that item today, and promptly went to work on getting it working.  The first item that has to be done is to connect to a WiFi network, and so far, I'm not able to do that. I tried to connect to my Netgear router at home (which is older), and had no luck.  My laptop was able to connect, though, so it certainly appears to be a PB problem.  I also went to a local food court that has WiFi, and while it did attempt to retrieve an IP address (which didn't happen with the home setup), the end result was the same - no connection.

I've done a quick search of the forums and on the Web but I'm not seeing much in the way of concise ways to solve this problem.  Frankly, it looks like many people are having these problems, which is annoying.  And in my case, I can't get anywhere without getting this initial connection to work.  This item will be returned quickly if I'm not able to connect, so any ideas on how to get this working?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: WiFi problems right out of the box

Try  setting it up in manual mode if you have security like WEP WPA on your router you can enter your security code to the playbook once this is done you will not have to do again. Anytime you are in range of the router the PB will connect.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

also unplug your router and plug back in.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

I did re-boot the router, but still no connection. As for security, I don't have anything setup, I just connect (not necessarily smart, but that is the way it is setup). So, no security code is necessary - it should just connect.

Another thing - as a bundle with my order, I received the rapid charger that RIM sells. I was very low on power, so I shutoff the device and plugged in the rapid charger to charge the PB. Unfortunately, it does not appear to charge. Does this have to be turned on to charge? I'm charging now with the charger that came with the PB, so I'll see if that is working.
New Contributor

Do you see the type of router you have (netgear) on the screen? If so you need to chose it to connect to. If not you are not in range or getting a wireless signal from it. the power cord should charge it up for the first time it will take about 6 hours to charge from 20%

New Contributor

I'm able to see the router on the PB, it just won't connect. I've tried it several times and rebooted the router more than once. I've purchased a new router since this one is a few years old. We'll see how this works out.

And from what I'm seeing, you have to charge the PB will it is powered up. It will not charge when it is turned off, unlike their phones.
New Contributor

So, new router purchased and I'm happy to say that I'm on my way with the PB (didn't realize my router was 8 years old, though). I've played around with the PB a bit, and it seems like a nice product so far.

Another problem, though. I own a BB Curve 8830, which is a couple of years old. I tried to do the bridging thing with the PB but the error message seemed to indicate that the bridge function was not available on my phone. Is this something I have to download or is my phone too old to do this? Thanks.
New Contributor

There are two types of bridging. One is you can bridge you BB to your PB which requires the app. Then you can get email and text msg. on your PB via a Bluetooth connection between your phone and PB. (note your phone has to be in range of of the PB to work)

The other type of bridgingh is to bring your phone to your PB for internet use (also known at teathering) Your data plan with your phone will determine this. This is only if you are not by your wireless or near a hot spot and still need internet access. These data charges will be on your cell phone bill.

New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I'm sure that VZW will charge extra for the tethering - they don't miss out on any profit opportunities. I'd like to do the bridging function, but when I go to download that app on my smartphone, the message I get is "This application is not available on your device of for your carrier". I'm not given the option to download it, just a link to BB support. So, it looks like I'm not able to do this.
New Contributor

Try to turn on your BB phone to bluetooth screen and connect to your playbook that way