Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Wifi Connected but only stay online for a minute

Hello, I am very confused

I have a wifi connection that works fine with my normal PC, but I cant seem to get it to work for more than 1 minute with my blackberry playbook

I have tried reconfiguring my wireless twice now, once with WEP security and the other time with WPA security. Both with the same result

I can connect to my wireless network just fine. it works and lets me go online for a minute and then all of a sudden the web pages no longer load anymore. My wifi tells me I am still connected to the network,but I can no longer go on anything online.

If i turn my wifi off and on again, then it will work for another minute and then do the same thing again

Also when I was at the airport, I was able to connect to their wireless just fine.

Is there something incompatible with my router and the playbook?

Just my luck

Please help, this is very frustrating as the playbook is pretty much useless without wifi

Thanks

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Wifi Connected but only stay online for a minute

Have you updated your PB or is it new?
Try to connect to your router with an OPEN wifi signal, no security settings. If you can successfully connect then download the latest upgrade which was released today. If you can get this far, we will continue on later with a secure signal.
Forums Veteran I

Approximately how old is your router?
Do you have the software for installing the network that came with the router?
Connecting the PB to an existing network is not easy because of the high security features of the PB.
Since you can connect without trouble at the airport, the wifi on the PB. Is working fine.
I would strongly suggest that you rebuilt a new network with a new name etc, delete the old network profile from your computer, reboot the computer, reboot the router and then start from scratch again. You will save yourself a lot of time, trouble, heartache in the long run.
When you set up your new network, give it a different name (SSID),Select WPA as the security type and AES as the data encryption. Select g mode for your router and the network key should be available on the sleeve of the network CD (26 character alphanumeric ) , it may be on a label of the router or it will appear on your screen during the installation,Write this code down and save it because you will have to enter it on the PB as well as all other parts of your network. Once your network is set up on your computer, all that is required is to enter these setting for all other equipment. When you have finished, reboot your computer and PB
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

which router and which firmware do you have on the playbook?

WIFI is unusable for me on a netgear wndr3700 with v2.0.1.358 firmware on the PB

New Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, BB Q10, BB Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Same here. Wifi on Netgear WNDR3700 (DD-WRT firmware) WPA2 AES-only G/N. Won't stay connected for more than a few seconds with v2.0.1.538. Worked fine prior to updating to v2.0.1.358. Other devices (laptops) are still connecting fine to the same router.

In the PB wifi log, I see these messages over and over again:

> 20:35:04: <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
> 20:35:00: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 completed (reauth) [id=1 id_str=]
> 20:35:00: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
> 20:35:00: <2>Associated with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14
> 20:35:00: <2>Trying to associate with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 (SSID='abcdef' freq=2442 MHz)

I'm going to do a little more experimentation to try to get this working however if not I'm going to look into rolling back the v2.0.1.358 update since wifi worked perfectly before.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

Read KB26522. Google it.
On your PB, are you set for dual band (2.5 and 5.0 Ghz). If you are trying changing to the higher frequently.
New Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, BB Q10, BB Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

From the KB article you mentioned:

"Wi-Fi® connections are not supported to any Wi-Fi Alliance Draft11n certified access point that is set in 802.11n-only mode with TKIP or WEP advertised."

My AP is not using TKIP or WEP. It is WPA2 AES-only. 

Also note that my AP uses both 'N' and 'G' modes (mixed) and the PB will not connect to either.

Forums Veteran I

How about the frequently setting in the PB?
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

I'd REALLY like to roll back.  But so far I see no obvious path.  I assume a security wipe will restore to factory v 1.x then update back to the latest?

I will keep looking but if anyone knows a way to rollback  i'd really love to hear it.

I've tried all permutations of wifi settings and any open source firware that works on a WNDR3700. dd-wrt, openwrt, gargoyle.  WIFI will simply not work with open source firmware on a WNDR3700.  Perhaps any router with open source firmware that uses the same flavour of atheros chip set as the netgear.

I've reverted to stock firmware in the meantime which does work and have to swallow losing the functionality i gained from open source.

Forums Veteran I

I don't think there is any way to go back to the previous upgrade. Others have looked at this route. Call RIM support. The upgrade was just issued yesterday. Thankfully my PB is working fine so far. I don't have a phone so that would eliminate one possible problem.