Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860 / Blackberry Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Optus
Accepted Solution

Wifi connection issues

is there any way that I can solve WIFI issues of playbook without actually touching the router itself or changing any setting from the router. My WIFI connection is not mine, It's my landlord's. So there's no way that I can fix the router and change the settings. Our Macbook, Iphone4, Ipod touch doesn't have any issues with that WIFI, Why does Blackberry making it so hard for the playbook to connect to just a plain and simple internet connection. This is my first blackberry device together with the  TORCH 9860, and so far the experience is so BAD! First it was the ID agreement on the setup, next is the software update issues (Error 2011, 3001) etc and now this one. I'm still not going to give up on blackberry yet, Hopefully the experience here in the community forum will be a pleasant one and would be able to keep me from holding on to my blackberry devices.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Wifi connection issues

In a word no. The problem could be one of several.
1) the PlayBook does not play well with no mode. Solution use g.
2) distance in no mode is a major factor.
3) the router it self could be the issue. The older the more incompatible.

Does the landlord know you are using the wifi signal?.

If not he may see you on the router and blocking you.

Do you have problems on free wifi hotshot spots.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: .

Junpeebolz wrote:

is there any way that I can solve WIFI issues of playbook without actually touching the router itself or changing any setting from the router. My WIFI connection is not mine, It's my landlord's. So there's no way that I can fix the router and change the settings. Our Macbook, Iphone4, Ipod touch doesn't have any issues with that WIFI, Why does Blackberry making it so hard for the playbook to connect to just a plain and simple internet connection.

If the Ipods connect OK can you not copy the settings and use for the PB to connect manually ?

Other issues with WIFi - I had a problem with my PB in that the browser wouldn't load webpages, but my PC worked fine on the same router loading the same pages. I had to do a router reset to fix it, (no other option)  as nothing altered or checked on th PB would fix it.

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry has done such a bad job engineering and designing the Playbook.  If you read through many of the posts, you'll see that most have the same problem and BB will make you jump through hoops reseting, rebooting, reconfiguring everything around you.  How about just blaming it on a junk OS and Playbook that doesn't come close to the iPad?  Connecting to wifi shouldn't be difficult at all.

I've tried Starbucks, McDonalds, work wifi and now home wifi.  The Playbook connects and has full bars on wifi, but then "times out" when I open a browser (gives a white screen with "error" on it and I retry 8-10 times).  The Playbook shows me connected to wifi with continuous full bars, but when I try to do a software update I get the error:

"There was an error connecting to the update server.  Please try again later. (2032)"

What the hell is wrong with Blackberry?  This is BS after paying big bucks $$$ to be loyal to BB vs. jumping ship and going to a solid product like the iPad.  90 days of phone tech support is **bleep**!!!!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

CubanJohn
If I read you correctly your PB works on an open wifi. If this is the case, your PB is working properly. There is nothing wrong with it. If it does not work properly at home, the problem is the router. Try this:
1. Reboot your router. Turn off for a minute and then back on.
2. Tap the battery icon, tap restart on your PB and let it reboot.
3. Try accessing the Internet.
If this does not solve the problem, delete the network profile on your PB. Reboot again and reinstall the network profile.
Try and report back.
New Contributor
My Device: 8520, Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone IE

Hi, 

I've the same problem. I can connect to wifi and browse pages for a minute or so, but later on it freezes.

Usually the first page renders correctly. I click any link and the blue progress bar stops in the middle.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the WPA wifi itself. My BB8520, notebook and other devices work fine.

It looks like there is plenty of us suffering this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/furious-about-wifi-drops-gets-worse-everyday-7...

What's your official answer?

Thanks

Jan

Forums Veteran I

If you can access your router settings from your computer, select WPA and AES as the data encryption. On your Playbook, select manual settings, enter network name, select WPA, Dual Band, then check automatically obtain IP Address, and check allow Inter Access Point Handover and finally the Network Key.
If you do not have access to the router but other equipment is running on it, enter the same settings as the other equipment.
New Contributor

Hi,

That's my work wifi, I don't have access to the router. At home it always worked perfect.

I've recreated connection manually as you described. Visited five pages without any problems. And then it stopped again! Just a blue progress bar frozen in the middle of the screen...

How can I get it fixed?

Thanks
Jan
Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

Have you tried the three button reset? Try it and check again.
New Contributor

Of course. 3 times.
It works perfect at home (Wpa2) and fails at work (Wpa2)...
Any better way to diagnose it?