Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom
Accepted Solution

Wifi signal strength

I am sitting in the same spot and my wifi signal strength floats from minimum to very strong. I am not sure if it was there before I relocated my wifi router to a more convenient spot,  but now it is real bad. In extreme cases I loose the signal completely. 

Any ideas?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Wifi signal strength

Should get about 30 feet range from a domestic router set to 82.11g only before it drop right off. 802.11n is still reputed to be bad for PB on 2.0.1.358 and older . The signal meter will vary anyway. If you have a brick or insulated wall in the way it will cut the signal a lot. 

[ Edited ]

I recently  installed an ATA and moved the whole setup, DSL modem, router, ATA, beside the Bell demark box in the basement.  I am coming to the conclusion that this location will not do. To much interference from pipes and ducks. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 2. Z30 3. Z10 4. Classic

Don't you find that those ducks in your basement quack a lot? I would find that annoying.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

placing a wifi router can be fun in some houses

I have mine in the cellar and signal drops a bit. When I have it on my dining room table all is well except when in the cellar.

I do have an older router and plan on trying a new one soon.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Super Contributor

The darn thing is that logistically the whole setup is in the perfect location. I connected the DSL modem directly into Bell's incoming jack and by connecting the 'Phone Out'  of the ATA to the plug in the same box which feeds all phone outlets in the house.  This way my two-way alarm system and a couple of our old phones work well. If I may say it was a brilliant idea.

Too bad the wifi signal coverage became iffy. I can't come up with a better location to achieve what I need to do without rewiring the phone jacks using the unused pairs as feedback. I guess I shall try a wifi extender.

Oh well......Thanks for all your feedback.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

i have had great results with an extender at work

we use two Routers for all of our remote users when they visit.

currently the new netgear N600 and N900 work very well for us with 100+ devices connected.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Any spare wifi router can be turned into an extender. 

Go into the admin settings of the spare router. 

Set wifi encryption to be at least as strong as the main router.

Turn off DHCP
Turn off firewall 

Set the ip address of the spare to be in the IP range of the main router

Set the gateway ip to be the same as the gateway IP of the main router.

Connect them ethernet to ethernet with a long length of ethernet cable to q different part of the house 

Reboot main. Reboot spare. 

Connect to either by wifi whichever is nearer.

If they are close to each other, fix different wifi channels in each router

Thanks to you all. I am sure I can make these ideas work for me. 

Guru III
My Device:

more help on repeaters etc on netgear

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=6776