Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Will PB 2.0 support large M4A files

One hugely irritating thing I noticed when I got my PB was that 80% of my iTunes files couldn't copied onto the device because of the large M4A file format (Apple Lossless Encoding) isn't supported. Has this been fixed or should I say enhanced in 2.0? (My music libary comes from my CDs, not iTunes store, and since I play this back on pretty decent system, I don't want the compressed files which are missing a lot of the music.)

sr

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Will PB 2.0 support large M4A files

I also have uploaded several CD's to PB in .m4a format (several hundred MB each) via iTunes import followed by transfer directly to PB file system with Windows Explorer.  My problem is that I can't "see" them on the PB under any of docs, video, music, etc.  However, I can see that they are actually on the device via Windows Explorer. 

Any ideas on how I should be doing this?  Should I be able to find them on the PB?  If so, under what heading?  And will i be able to play them off the PB into an offboard audio system?  Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

on your PlayBook,

what happens when you take the file explorer (or the free app named "Air Browser") and click on the file ? Does it open in the video player ? Does the video play or do you get an error message (if so, what is the exact error message) ?

as a reminder, please check the following article from the public knowledge about the supported codecs:

KB26518 Media types that are supported on the BlackBerry PlayBook

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

CD's at several hundred meg each sounds like Apple Lossless. It's not a supported codec. You'd have to figure out how to convert the lossless m4a to regular m4a. I haven't tried it yet with the playbook, but there's a.setting in itunes that compresses the lossless files when it exports media to the intended-devices. It might work with the BB itunes sync too (but not sure).