Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

Wireless connection speed

Hi,

Corsspost blackberry support / virgin media support

I purchased a playbook last week and blagged a new "Virgin media super hub" from my ISP at the same time because it supports wireless N specifically for the playbook (all my other stuff is on Gbit wires). I made a comparison of speed transfers between my old wireless G router and the new one and found no difference (1.2-1.5M/s). This leads me to think that the connection being made with the N router is falling back to G. The playbook shows perfect signal on the screen, speed comparisons were made with Ghost filemanager, the router had line of site to the device. I tried the 2.4 and 5.0 bands on the router, playbook set to dual band, security type WPA2 personal. I tried auto allocation of channels and a small selection of manually configured channels at both frequencies. 

In order to diagnose, I first need one of the devices to indicate what connection speed they are negotiating and after that access to logs. My current router has the option for a Syslog server where I can view this info in detail but I cannot find such an option on the super hub. I have not registered the superhub (just gave it a different IP address and connected it to my local net) as I needed to evaluate it first - just in case this makes a difference, or if it likely to receive a firmware update as soon as it is plugged in.

Help appreciated,

Bruce.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Wireless connection speed

[ Edited ]

Contrary to your enthusiasm for 802.11n, most people on here would suggest switching to 802.11g on the router for best reliability. PB is n certified but can't find anyone who got more than 65mbps. Til they plant three antennae on the top that's all you'll get.  It purrs nicely on 54mbps in g only mode.

Dig around in the knowlegde base  KB26522 for limitations

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

Thanks for the reply, I guess I just needed an initial burst of speed to tranfer my music but it sounds like the USB lead is going to be quicker either way. I think the new router's going back in its box for a bit.....

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

if you want to "sync" music from itunes library, or sync pics from the likes of  iphoto (I'm a Mac user) then USB is the best way as there's a sync process.  If you want to drag and drop then Wifi can be more convenient especially if the Playbook is upstairs sitting on the charging dock in standby and you are downstairs for example. Not a huge difference in speed either way.