Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 bridged to Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon

Wish List

I've been playing with my Playbook now for a couple of days and I have found a few elements that just seem to be missing that I think need to go on a future feature list.

1. Customization of Home Screen.  There does not appear to be a way to create custom categories.  You are stuck with "Favorites", "Media", and "Games".  I would like to add others like "Travel", "News", "Utilities", "Finance", "Instant Messaging/Social Networking", etc.
  2. Customization of Browser.  There seems to be very little customization of the browser.  I think that there needs to be some advanced settings.  Especially dealing with secure browsing.
  3. Customization of Bookmarks.  The same issue exists with bookmarks.  I cannot group, move, or in anyway edit bookmarks after I have added them.  I can only delete them.
  4. Music.  I cannot find a way to remove albums that have been added.  I should be able to remove songs, albums, or artists.
  5. Bridge Apps.  These need a lot more customization.  I would like to be able to set varies items on my calendar such as displaying week number, setting week start date (or week starts on Monday).  Basically pretty much the same settings already on the phone for displaying the calendars.  It would also be nice to have an "Overview" display that lists today's e-mail, appointments, and tasks on one view (like my phone and Outlook have).
  6. Bridge App Synchronization.  I have found that the Playbook and the phone will get out of sync.  The Playbook will say that there are still unacknowledged e-mails when there are not.
  7. Lastly, there is a noticable lack of apps that you would expect to be there.  Including:  BBM (through Bridge), Yahoo Messenger, Google Messenger, (actually all IM apps appear to be missing).  Skype (with video), Audible, and the list goes on.

I will take the hit for being an early adopter and give some leeway.  I hope that soon we will get an update that gives us much of this capability.

Sean

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Wish List

App are being published everyday, cant expect everything to be ready on launch day with a new product and a new OS on the PlayBook.

sarhaynes wrote:

I've been playing with my Playbook now for a couple of days and I have found a few elements that just seem to be missing that I think need to go on a future feature list.

1. Customization of Home Screen.  There does not appear to be a way to create custom categories.  You are stuck with "Favorites", "Media", and "Games".  I would like to add others like "Travel", "News", "Utilities", "Finance", "Instant Messaging/Social Networking", etc.Yes this would be nice, I want custom menus
  2. Customization of Browser.  There seems to be very little customization of the browser.  I think that there needs to be some advanced settings.  Especially dealing with secure browsing. Agreed
  3. Customization of Bookmarks.  The same issue exists with bookmarks.  I cannot group, move, or in anyway edit bookmarks after I have added them.  I can only delete them. Yes this is needed
  4. Music.  I cannot find a way to remove albums that have been added.  I should be able to remove songs, albums, or artists. you can do this with wifi sync but not on PlayBook it self right now.
  5. Bridge Apps.  These need a lot more customization.  I would like to be able to set varies items on my calendar such as displaying week number, setting week start date (or week starts on Monday).  Basically pretty much the same settings already on the phone for displaying the calendars.  It would also be nice to have an "Overview" display that lists today's e-mail, appointments, and tasks on one view (like my phone and Outlook have).It is a new concept and has to be balenced with both personal and corporate policies. I bet some updates are coming in the future.
  6. Bridge App Synchronization.  I have found that the Playbook and the phone will get out of sync.  The Playbook will say that there are still unacknowledged e-mails when there are not. See 5
  7. Lastly, there is a noticable lack of apps that you would expect to be there.  Including:  BBM (through Bridge), Yahoo Messenger, Google Messenger, (actually all IM apps appear to be missing).  Skype (with video), Audible, and the list goes on. BBM is coming, hopefully the rest are also.

I will take the hit for being an early adopter and give some leeway.  I hope that soon we will get an update that gives us much of this capability.

Sean

There is so much potential and the needs of everyone can not be met is such a short time.

I have faith in RIM and the developers to make some nice changes/enhancments in the future.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 bridged to Blackberry Playbook 32GB

I agree that I shouldn't expect all apps to be ready at launch, and I am pleased with the ones that are. I was just giving my wish list for apps that are currently not available. I've also gone to the vendor sites to ask them to support the Playbook. We will get there (I hope)!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

yes we should get there soon, thanks for the objective and positive post.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

I'll add a couple of thoughts and minor issues to this list (and reiterate a couple) . Overall  I'm very happy with the device so far, and look forward to seeing the app ecosytem expand (as well as the contents of future OS updates).

1) Gesture to easily and quickly turrn the screen off without turning the device off.  While 90s timeout is an option, there are times (for security or otherwise) that you need to turn the display off *now*.  The only option today is to make sure you have a second app running that you can quickly swipe to, and that's acumbersome workaround.

2) 3rd party app: Amazon announced kindle app immediately after the PB announcement.  Is it still coming? that drove my decision to start getting kindle books later in the year, knowing that I'd be able to read them on my PB. If it turns out I'm stuck with a ton of books that I can only read on my BB phone and desktop because some deal fell through, that will be more than irritating. 

3) Customization of panels; or a feature similar to BB's universal search that makes it easy to find apps. Once you start installing apps, it gets very easy to lose track of them. Moving them to prominent locations or favorites only helps marginally - especiall if we get the ability to add bookmarks to a panel.

4) Bridge Browser - when my phone's 3G connection is poor, or if I use a 2G connection, every other page I try to load through the bridge browser pops up a "save" dialog.  Retrying enough times usually gets met hrough (The same pages load on the BB browser, albeit slowly.)   Especially annoying when searching from the URL bar, because I lose the search text and have to type it again to retry.Unfortunately, I spend most of my time ina  place with spotty 3G coverage (but great 2G) , so this issue overall gets irritating.

5) Bridge app sync - I see this issue a bit too, especially with message notifications.  I'll have the new message icon, but when I tap it it says "no messages". The only way I've found to clear it is to reconnect, or delete an unrelated message.

6) As has been mentioned elsewhere, support for directory structures

7) For developers a way to tell the system that an app supports pull down menus; and for the system to provide a default menu when the developer does not provide one.  Right now when I launch an app I have to just try down swipe and see if it works... it provides a very inconsistent user experience.

8) Browser auto-login/password management

9) Browser extension support.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

1. Search text in browser

2. Spell-check in browser and in emails: OS identifies mis-spelt words but does not offer user a correction.

3. App Search. I've installed 100 apps and it is getting tiring to scroll through 100 apps in the 'all' section - if we can create our own category I don't know if we still need search. What do you think?

3b. if categories can be created, then the ribbon holding the list (all, music etc...) needs >> or << to remind the user that the user can scroll amongst the categories.

4. Double tap file to OPEN file. I can't get used to the click -> button click open to open file

5. Support opening multiple word, excel, powerpoint files.

6. Modify the browser dropdown: space can be used more optimally. The option/setting button is too big. Do users access that frequnently?

7. ... <<---Your turn to add items to this wish list!

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

I'm sure some of these are coming:

1 - Spelling AND autocorrect. BTW - I notice that the BB Bridge uses the phone's autocorrect tools

2 - Enhanced Adobe Reader

3 - Folder groups within homescreen panes

4 - Widgets!

5 - Web Browser wants:

a - bookmark sync (even with just BB).

b - Rearrange bookmarks

c - Add bookmarks from links (click and hold option)

6 - More consistent select / point cursor. This works best (so far) in Docs to Go but goes absolutely mental in the web browser when selecting text areas. They behave differently, too.

7 - Press, hold and release for symbols as well (just shift at the moment)

8 - Use my BB as a remote keyboard

9 - Linux USB support

...and the list goes on.

10 - Accessibility options (font size, contrast)

11 - Option to disable bezel wipes in 'orientation lock gadget' for when the kids play (would still need to have system swipe to get back but I can live with that)

These are relatively minor considering this is a v1 release though. I'd like to see the apps have some more polish and functionality.

So much potential - I'm excited!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

1. would like a search funtion added to the "word to go" app

2. Search function for the adobe app

Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb and blackberry bold 9700 os6 on Bes5
My Carrier: TIM

As an ex ipad user i find that the select copy and paste gestures and usability needs some improvement

first of all i have found very difficult to select the whole content of an input text box when you are on a web page where the input box is smaller than the text written. I use to do so (select all and copy) when i have written a lot of text in a form and for some reason fails to be posted and you have to retype it again.

when you keep the finger pressed onto a word it shows the cursors to modify or copy and paste , it should also offer 'select all'

also i find very difficult to point and change a letter when you have misstyped something , also when you type and your text becomes red ( made a mistake it should offer correct known alternatives as when you type on the blackberry bold device....

thanks
Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb and blackberry bold 9700 os6 on Bes5
My Carrier: TIM

two other little improvements:

1) a way to see the status of the blackberry bridged eg. battery level and mobile signal type and strength

2) when downloading from browser , pulling down the browser menu and clicking on download show the progress of the current download with percentage and expected time, or any errors witth error code, in particular when using the bridge browser that might be slow compared to wifi.

not like now that it seems that if the download exceeds 500kb it gets cancelled with no advice!