Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Virgin mobile
Accepted Solution

Won't start -- five red-flashes sequence

My PlayBook worked just fine until last evening. Battery life was good; with no start-up or play issues. Original model; has worked well for nearly 3 years. Has latest OS. Never been dropped or abused in any way.

Last night it wouldn't wake up. I did a hard reboot (power button for 15 seconds) and then it seemed to start, but when the GUI came up the screen was insensitive: no reaction to touch anywhere. I then did a hard reset (both volume buttons plus power button), and now all I can get is a five-red-flashes sequence: flash pause flash flash flash pause flash -- longer pause, then repeat.

I had the BlackBerry charger plugged in overnight...  no change, still get the five-red-flashes. Tried another hard reset, same result.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Won't start -- five red-flashes sequence

5 red flashes is a good sign

keep charging and after a few hours do a power reset again

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Would this have come about because of complete battery discharge? Does the flash-pause-flash-flash-flash-pause-flash code mean something specific?

I'm still charging it; haven't tried hard reboot yet.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

five flashes means depleted battery, it takes a long time to charge depleted since the current is limited  

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I still haven't tried power reboot out of fear that an unsuccessful try would further deplete the battery. Would a 'stronger' charger help? A rapid charger?

It is still doing the five flash sequence. Will that change with charge state? Or will the five flashes continue until I try a hard reboot? Would it be best to do the 20-second power off, then a restart?

Thanks for ANY guidance.

Guru III
My Device:

with out an amp meter to know whats going on

are you using the Playbook charger or a phone charger?

My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telus

Upgraded my bb z10 with new OS and it won't go pass 98%

Hello... I started to upI date my OS yesterday when I got the prompt of a new OS - I did over wifi on the phone, the phone died and I couldn't turn it on anymore and their was the rapid fast red light that keeps happening. I put the phone on the charger and still today that light is going on and the phone still doesn't turn on. I tried to update the OS via PC today and it got to 98% and said it can't go further. Please help!

Regular Contributor

I think it is the playbook charger--5.1 V, 0.7 amp. I am now trying a travel charger I bought specifically for the playbook--HP 5.3 V, 2.0 amp.

Might a charge be trickling in? Maybe try power start in another couple hous? Five or six hours?

Thanks, again.

Guru III
My Device:

use the 2 amp one as the other cant really charge it

yes try charging for a few hours and then do the restart

Guru III
My Device:

Re: Upgraded my bb z10 with new OS and it won't go pass 98%

Yasminm wrote:

Hello... I started to upI date my OS yesterday when I got the prompt of a new OS - I did over wifi on the phone, the phone died and I couldn't turn it on anymore and their was the rapid fast red light that keeps happening. I put the phone on the charger and still today that light is going on and the phone still doesn't turn on. I tried to update the OS via PC today and it got to 98% and said it can't go further. Please help!

you do realize this is the playbook area