Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Workaround to use Skype

Hi all,

For the people that have been complaining about skype not being on the playbook, here is a workaround:
Go to this site form ur PB: imo.im

This is an instant web messenger that can use the one you want! It has msn, aol, facebook and others! But most importantly it has Skype and you can use the video chat feature! The only eek is that since ur doing video chat from the playbook, the person with who you want to communicate most login to his/her skype account through imo.im as well! Or else, u will be able to see and hear them from the playbook but they won't be able to see you! I guess its a bug or somethin! So please pass the word and enjoy! Remember, with the Playbook, there is ALWAYS a solution!
Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Re: Workaround to use Skype

That's great, but let me add a little to your post.

imo.im may only work fully over Wi-Fi or Tethered PlayBook, but can work as a text-im on Bridged.

imo.im may not run Video calls to Skype unless the Skype contact access the link sent by imo.im on his Skype Chat Session.

Thanks for sharing that with us Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

now why didnt RIM tell us this a month ago?????? !!!!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

played with this last night, works well with VIDEO Skype to a desktop laptop BUT not to Galaxy Tab, Assus Tab, or HP tablet in either browser mode to imo.im website or in the Android imo application. Did not work calling an iPad 2 in browser; I could not download the iPad imo app so that was not tested..... So works with Playbook to desktop laptop or to another Blackberry. Guess it is better than nothing, but I am getting closer to dumping this Playbrick for a tablet that runs Skype, Open Office, has eMail client etc.