Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: YoU tuBe SiGn In

This is crazy!  Did Google really reply as, LOLOLOL??  So, now Playbook owners are stuck with having to go purchase a new device, IF, we do not want to just use the YouTube app that came installed on the Playbook?  And I am one that does not find the preinstalled YouTube app very functional/interactive.  I was hoping that there was another solution to this madness, however, I guess there is no need to purchase anything else from BB now that they're being ditched.  YouTube is really the only site I am constantly on right now that requires a flash player.  UGH, this is why technology is good in some aspects and horrible in others.

Thanks for the info, Cindysinx

~muchacha25

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

Must be nice to have enough money to just throw out your playbook and get a Nexus -- I cannot afford to do that.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900/9780/9810
My Carrier: Singtel

Can you guys give a screenshot of the youtube page just as you are accessing it? (not login screen)
New Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g, blackberry passport
My Carrier: nobody

[ Edited ]

K, besides the other companies not holding their part in a healthier browsing experience, my playbook is faster then alotof  plastic Frisbees. I even witness first hand buddies and families talk trash about playbook and not even seen one first hand and mine blown them away with speed and functionality compared to apple/microwave/etc Frisbees ....any way mine having the same problems. Please help Rim...please, I pay you guys so please resolve thisK,

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

why not use the browser?

Thats all i use to access youtuube

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g, blackberry passport
My Carrier: nobody

Wow still not working....mean while i still cant post comments on youtube. Make a working app????

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

Have you tried logging into YouTube on a PC and checking your security settings? I can't remember if it's in the YouTube settings or whether it takes you to a Google webpage but somewhere in there you should see that they have blocked access to your account from what they call an un secure or unsupported app. You can select to allow sign in from such apps and after doing so you should be ok. It worked for me and am now signed into YouTube on my PlayBook app, something I couldn't do until I discovered the above by accident. Worth a try.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 16 gb
My Carrier: Telus

Hi bs,

Wow, it'd be great if you discovered the fix for issues with Youtube authentication on the PB. Can you provide a specific pointer to which security setting you're referring to? I had a poke around but couldn't find what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance! Would be great to be able to use the native app again rather than a slow sideload.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

mh1983 wrote:

Hi bs,

Wow, it'd be great if you discovered the fix for issues with Youtube authentication on the PB. Can you provide a specific pointer to which security setting you're referring to? I had a poke around but couldn't find what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance! Would be great to be able to use the native app again rather than a slow sideload.

I have just signed into my YouTube account using the PlayBook native application (the one with the Black and White icon) I cannot view my Channel, my Subscriptions etc but I can view videos without the issues of viewing them in the browser etc.

I (presumably like most) have been forced to sign into YouTube using a GMail account so this may not be relavant for everyone but I will paste below some info which I hope will help.

When I first attempted to sign in on the PlayBook YouTube app I received the mail below: (edited)

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account XXXXX This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt: XXXXX

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately

If this was you, and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login                

This is the link shown in the above mail (just in case it did not work first time

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257?p=client_login&rd=1

Click on it and go to the section containing the text:

Your mail app might not support the latest security standards. Learn how to allow less secure apps access to your account.

Click on the link ''allow less secure apps access'' which will take you here

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

Under the heading Access your Account click on the link highlighted and titled ''Allow Less Secure Apps''

That will take you here https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

You should then be presented with this option:

Less secure apps

Some devices and apps use insecure sign-in technology to access your data.

Choosing Disable prevents these less secure devices and apps from accessing your Google Account.

Choosing Enable increases your chances of unauthorized account access but allows you to continue using these less secure devices and apps. Learn more

Access for less secure apps
Disable
Enable

Once I clicked to enable I was able to log into my YouTube account on the PlayBook's YouTube App.

Bear in mind this was done on a PC and whilst logged into my GMail account. Apologise if the above is a bit confusing but it shows that it is possible. Annoying, but given that the PlayBook YouTube app is a few years old and security is forever advancing it is no surprise that Google have put these measures in place. Hope it helps. Good Luck.  

PS: I stumbled upon this whilst setting up a GMail account on an old Torch 9800 which is how I inadvertently discovered the fix for the YouTube app.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

There is no Desktop Mode option on my Playbook browser settings. My browser is Safafri on my Playbook. Is this your browser?