Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry tablets
My Carrier: None

broken usb port on playbook

does anybody else have aproblem with their usb port? i have only had my playbook for 7months i sent the playbook back and they have requested that i pay  £77 for the repair       i am very angry that the machine is only 7 months old  and i am already paying for repairs  i am very disapointed at the price

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: broken usb port on playbook

suzychan wrote:

does anybody else have aproblem with their usb port? i have only had my playbook for 7months i sent the playbook back and they have requested that i pay  £77 for the repair       i am very angry that the machine is only 7 months old  and i am already paying for repairs  i am very disapointed at the price

Hundreds of people. It is the fault of the international design committee who invented the micro usb port. There is also some blame with RIM who decided to have their logo uppermost on the plug rather than the usb logo.

Too easy to put in upside down which ruins the socket.

Too easy to bend if using in the hand when plugged in. 

Avoid both issues and it is fine.

________
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

as someone mentioned on another post, put a drop of whiteout on the upper part of the usb cable so you know for sure what side is up when plugging it in

Gene
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry tablets
My Carrier: None

if blackberry know of the problem why have they not done anything about it        the machine is only 7 months old     just been on the phone to  blackberry they deny any knowledge of a fault     i am never going to buy a blackberry  product ever again      when i checked with all the repair companies they all agreed  that this was a very common fault  even the courier who delivered the item   recognised the playbook and has told me that he is getting a couple per month      when r blackberry going to acknowledge ther is a problem

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

I've been using the same micro usb port on my 2 Torches for a couple of years and also the 2 PBs for about a year with no problems.  I always make sure  the correct side is up and NEVER force the entry.  [that almost sounds obscene.....].

Super Contributor

Re-read my reply. Not a Blackberry problem. Any item with micro USB will be at same risk of accidental damage.
I never handle my Playbook whilsy USB is connected and I use a decent magnetic connector rapid charger
________
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have never broken a USB port on any device. I know the design is fragile just by looking at it.

dont jam it in or it can break

Magnetic charger is the best way to go. My kids broke several chargers but tuggin them out

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 2. Z30 3. Z10 4. Classic

Question.....I have not had this issue and very carefull to plug in correct direction.  My BB bold has the same connector, but I don't hear anything about the same problem with a smart phone.    Is the playbook more delicate, or are smart phone users just "smarter"?

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Sprint

I had the same problem, but instead of sending it back, i left it alone and bought the rapid charger and I backup the PB via Bluetooth and wifi

Highlighted
Super Contributor

hvacdon wrote:

Question.....I have not had this issue and very carefull to plug in correct direction.  My BB bold has the same connector, but I don't hear anything about the same problem with a smart phone.    Is the playbook more delicate, or are smart phone users just "smarter"?

People generally dont use a smartphone whilst connected by usb, I guess.  

________