Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: cogeco

dead usb port

I have not used the Playbook's micro usb port since I got the rapid charger, which was before the OS2 upgrade. Today I plugged it into the regular charger (that came with the Playbook) but cannot get any indication that the unit is charging. I tried several different wall outlets, and since it was working fine the last time I used it, there is no reason to think the charger is the problem. Is there a Playbook software switch that I need to reset? Has anyone else experienced a non-functional usb port following the OS2 upgrade? The usb port is not damaged or physically broken as far as I can tell. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks,

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: dead usb port

restart the playbook and then try to see if it charges after.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I connected the Playbook by cable to the computer but no sign of charging.  Did a restart and still no charging.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

mine wont charge via a PC if on less than 20% battery

is yours at least 20% charged?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16Gb; Berry BOLD 9780
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

Interesting to know that the PB won't allow usb charging hooked up to a computer below 20% battery power life?!

To go where no berry has gone before....

http://zerogpuddle.blogspot.com/
Guru III
My Device:

it is not documented, but happens to me on my PC. once after 20% it will charge.

My Device: Playbook 16 Gig
My Carrier: Koodo

I had the same problem on my original Playbook.  Initially it did charge using the USB plug in charger but eventually it stopped taking a charge at all.  If I held in in place at a certain angle with a certain amount of force, it would charge; but, that became less and less possible as time went by.   When the USB charges through a wall plug, the red light will come on to indicate the Playbook is charging.  Once charged, it will turn to green.  My problem semed to be the USB connection itself; as, my connection to the computer through the same port also started to fail.  Eventually, I had to contact customer support and send my Playbook back.  That was in January.  I have been using a loaner Playbook, ever since; and, it works quite well.  In fact, I have asked if I can keep the loaner.  Still no response from any employee from Blackberry on that question.  Their customer service and technical support is horrible, if you haven't already discovered ths on your own (I have wasted over 40 hours trying to get my technical errors resolved since buying the Playbook in November, 2011; and, I still don't have my original Playbook back in working condition, or any indication when I wil get it back. So, lean on those of us who have already wasted our time; and, seek a timely resolution.  Finding someon at Blackberry that will keep their promise is another story; so, you may have to be firm in your approach.  Good Luck!

Contributor

The "problem" has been solved.  I had been trying to insert the usb plug upside down, which had bent the socket pins out of position.  I realigned the socket pins, inserted the pug properly, and now everything is working as it should.  A really dumb mistake that could have ruined the socket; got away with one this time.