Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32gb
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

debrick method OS 2?

Hi everyone;

I'm trying to wipe my playbook and make it factory fresh because of some issues I am having with the Android player.

I've followed instructions to debrick using Desktop Manager (most recent version available from RIM) but I'm having problems.  DM says that my playbook doesn't need an update, and I don't get a "repair" option ever.

My playbook seems to start and shutdown on it's own when connected to DM and does not wait for me to do it via the button.

Can someone please provide step by step instuctions on how to do a factory restore from OS 2 via desktop manager?  Please include exact version of DM also please.  I am runninig Windows 7 64 bit.

I did not do a security wipe first - should I have?

My goal is to have a factory fresh playbook on OS 2.

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: debrick method OS 2?

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Have tried this all - when I quickly click "update" it just tells me there are no updates available for my device and wants my email address so RIM can email me when an update is available.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

The method I use is to open DM and connect your PlayBook while it's turned on. Once it's connected you should complete a backup if you haven't already since this will delete all content and media from your device. When you finish the backup, restart the tablet. I usually just tap the battery icon, then restart. DM will throw an error that it can't connect to the device and give you options to retry or update. Select update. It will most likely want you to enter your email address as you mentioned, but I just untick that check box and click on next. It should begin to start downloading the software update.

Contributor

Yes, I get to the point where it asks to retry, update, cancel - but if I click update - it tells me no updates are available and asks for my email.  Regardless of how I get rid of that dialogue box, the playbook restarts on its own - I never get a repair option and nothing is downloaded.

Contributor

The solution was to uninstall the current DM and install the new 7 version of DM that was posted at RIM for a bit and taken down again days later.  With v. 7 it worked like a charm.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32gb & Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

Help...  (having observed significant performance differences when compared with my wife's PB over the same wifi connection) decided to debrick.

All going as expected until the final stage.  Have re-established wifi  connection, my BB acount details, location, date etc when suddenly it says "In order to finish configuring your PB for your region additional files are required - would you like to update now or later?"  Circa 24MB of update later it tries to apply but fails to update to Playbook OS Update Version 2.0.1.358.

Problem is that 4 attempts later its still failing, and I cant move forward from this point...

Anyone got any ideas?

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

. A debrick uses usb and desktop software, with the playbook initially switched off. Not sure why wifi is involved.

________
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32gb & Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

It came about in the final stages of setup prior to use post disconnecting from the desktop manager .

Have now sorted - simply redid the whole debrick process, which worked without issue (and the performance improvements hoped for seemed to have been achieved too)!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Mtn

How many hours did the process take u ?