Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: playbook tablet
My Carrier: orange

ereader?

Hi, feeling very thick!!!!   Have downloaded some epub files, so not ones bought through kobo, and want to read them.  How the heck do I do that?  Do I have to buy an app?  If so, which one is good.  They are reference works, so might want to underline or make notations, is there such an app?  Cheers.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Re: ereader?

Your right. Kobo is worse than useless. Try this app, Epub reader. It is excellent. Costs only £.99.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/50823/?lang=en

Hope this is ok

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I like the android app Moon+ Reader

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

rossjackson01 wrote:

Your right. Kobo is worse than useless. Try this app, Epub reader. It is excellent. Costs only £.99.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/50823/?lang=en

Hope this is ok

Regards

Ross

That's a good ereader provided the books have no drm. Unfortunately most ebooks you buy from amazon kindle shop are excluded because of drm. If you have an amazon account you should sideload the amazon kindle reader from goodereader.com

My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Thank you for the reply Jarviser. I note what you have said. The blurb says it can read drm. But it does look as though it may be only for free kindle books, not the paid ones. Never had a kindle so can't help further.

Regards to all (except BB)
New Contributor
My Device: playbook tablet
My Carrier: orange

Thanks folks.  Bought bookreader in the end, seems really good, it can highlight text, although I can't figure out how to do it!!!  But there is online support for it, so I guess I can access that.  Cheers again.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 16GB
My Carrier: N/A

I use my Playbook primarily for e-reading. Unfortunately for the BB App store, the best apps for this purpose come from Android sideloads. For various formats, the best choices in my opinion are:

epub: Moon+reader (Android)

mobi: Amazon Kindle app (Android) - You don't need a Kindle device for this. You can just install the app and get started

pdf: Built in Acrobat Reader okay, but Repligo Reader (android) and qPDF Notes (Android) for annotations of any kind

chm: Moon+ manages, but the native Book reader (paid app) does best. Still chm support is not as nice as on android, even with ported android apps. Payying attention RIM?

Overall, the native playbook app Book Reader (paid, $0.99) is a good app for a variety of formats, including both epub and mobi, but isn't as beautiful as Moon+ or Kindle.

Note: Repligo and qPDF are available directly through the app store. Moon+ must be sideloaded.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

I sideloaded Kindle for Pc to my Blackberry..I already had it on all my laptops and my android tablet..now it is super easy transfering books from one device to another..You can convert any epub file to kindle format with Calibre

Gene
Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Vodaphone (UK) [via tethering]

[ Edited ]

there is an alternative to sideloading - get yourself a good ebook converter - i recommend http://calibre-ebook.com/ this is what i use and it works extremely well Smiley Happy

also +1 for Book Reader - it's very good

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 16GB
My Carrier: N/A

Plain-text ebooks are good fodder for Calibre, but if it contains any formatting or pictures, it messes up the arrangement. I had a number of CHM books I needed reading. Converting them with Calibre did not produce very readable results. Then I discovered Book Reader. Great app!