Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Telus

gmail calendar not syncing, now can't set up

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm on my second Playbook. I physically broke the last one (sniff). I had the gmail calendar sync working when I set it up in early Feb, but I noticed yesterday that it wasn't syncing anymore. Before anyone asks, I do have the latest OS.

I did some digging and here are my steps so far:

1. I was getting an error message when I double checked the settings and password for the account and clicked save. Email and contacts work correctly.
  2. I checked the URL in my computer browser to see if I could get to it from my network. I used https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/XXXXXX@gmail.com/events and after typing in my user and password, the file downloaded correctly. Opening it in notepad showed it was the right file and contained my calendar data in CalDAV format.
  3. I then tried deleting and re-adding my gmail account. That's when I got this error: "Account Gmail - <my email address> - <my email address> failed testing with current settings." So I no longer have access to my gmail calendar or any of the entries that were there, because I already deleted the account.
  4. I even tried KB33093 and that did not work for me either.

Is there something else I can try or is that it until the next OS update?

Note: I have a workaround by syncing my gmail calendar with a hotmail calendar and connecting to that on my playbook. It works, but it's not ideal as I can't edit the gmail calendar which is my main calendar. 

Update: I was able to download the file at https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/XXXXXX@gmail.com/events after typing in my user and password. A posting on another board thought that maybe the Playbook was being blocked by Google, this proves that it is not.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: --

Re: gmail calendar not syncing, now can't set up

Seems several threads on this, now - presumably something must have changed at the Google end for this to stop working. I think the Z10 doesn't suffer from it, though, so I can only think the way it's going to get fixed is a software update for the PlayBook.

Contributor

Wongsky wrote:

Seems several threads on this, now - presumably something must have changed at the Google end for this to stop working. I think the Z10 doesn't suffer from it, though, so I can only think the way it's going to get fixed is a software update for the PlayBook.

You may be right. Hopefully that update also brings BB10 to the Playbook 

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Google started withdrawing this support in January. Windows 8 just got a reprieve but I can't find news of any reprieve for Blackberry or BB10.

Download the Nerdberry app or get their Twitter feed for news.

[ Edited ]

TexTucker wrote:

Google started withdrawing this support in January. Windows 8 just got a reprieve but I can't find news of any reprieve for Blackberry or BB10.

True, but I thought it was Google not offering free Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® anymore. They offer paid ActiveSync and they suggest everyone else use CalDAV instead. Everything was working correctly earlier, but it stopped working sometime last week. Google stopped support for ActiveSync Jan. 30, 2013, and I have had it working after that time...

My wife's old BB Bold is working and I have a friend who has his Playbook working. It looks like it's just my Playbook...

Super Contributor

We must be at cross purposes. Gmail is imap and does not provide  Activesync. Hotmail provides Activesync for mobile devices. Does your friend's playbook work if he deletes the account, restarts, then tries to add it back with caldav?

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

No CalDav connection from the Playbook is broken as well.

It used to work, now it doesn't. Trying to add the google CalDAV fails with the message "account@gmail.com failed testing with current settings".

I use two-stage authentication and the Google Password manager shows the application specific password I generated specifically for the PB Calendar is used everytime I attempt to creat the account. So either the Playbook doesn't understand what google sends back after the authentication, or Google is rejecting the PB as a client.

Contributor

TexTucker wrote:

We must be at cross purposes. Gmail is imap and does not provide  Activesync. Hotmail provides Activesync for mobile devices. Does your friend's playbook work if he deletes the account, restarts, then tries to add it back with caldav?

I think you are misinformed. According to Google: "Google Sync uses Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® to let your users synchronize their Google Apps mail, contacts, and calendars to their mobile devices." Here's the link. That is the service that has been converted to CalDAV for calendars, imap for Gmail and CardDAV for contacts. Hotmail/Outlook are ActiveSync as you say. I can't see Microsoft not using their own product, lol.

I don't think my friend would be willing to delete his accout and restart, lol. His PB is working after all Smiley Happy

Contributor

[ Edited ]

tamper wrote:

I use two-stage authentication and the Google Password manager shows the application specific password I generated specifically for the PB Calendar is used everytime I attempt to creat the account. So either the Playbook doesn't understand what google sends back after the authentication, or Google is rejecting the PB as a client.

Huh, well that narrows things down. Thanks tamper. I can get the file through the PB browser, and you say it is authenticating. So either Google is blocking the PB email program's user agent string and not the PB's browser or the PB isn't parsing the file correctly. I personally think it's the last one.

Since you are using two-stage authentication. Have you tried this? Unlock Captcha. I saw it as a possible solution for a simillar problem with iOS, but it didn't work for me.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I meant does not provide it for Blackberry.

From your link 

Google Sync works with iOS, Nokia, SyncML, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile devices. Direct your users to Google Sync for your phone for setup instructions."

As you say Blackberry is NOT in that list so we use caldav etc. If you added your account before Jan you are ok,if you try it now you will usually be unlucky even using http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33093