Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: google maps doesn't work in the blackberry playbook browser

Hi guys! 

I just wanted to make sure that you know about the show/hide keyboard gesture. It seems like that is all you need to solve your problem. There are some websites that don't automatically pull up the keyboard for text entry. That's the beauty of the PlayBook though. Start from the bottom left corner of the bezel and drag into the screen. The keyboard pops up no matter where you are. To hide it, either do the same gesture or tap the keyboard icon in the bottom left. 

I tried this on maps.google.com and it worked perfectly on my PlayBook. 

Hope that helped! Smiley Happy

BlackBerry® Z10
Editor
www.berryreview.com
New Contributor
My Device: curve 9300 & playbook
My Carrier: MTS

when using browser for google maps i still get the 'loading' message tbat never completes and blocks all other access to the page. It doesn't matter which way I get to the page (tried address search in web section then followed link to 'maps'.
what am i doing wrong? (i have the latest released update for the os 1.0.7.3312)
thanks!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

Try uninstalling and then re-installing the Google map software. I installed it in to my PB and it has been working.  The other day I received the latest OS update. I did not yet try Google maps to see if it still works.  I found sometimes I had to uninstall and re-install some programs after an OS update. Most likely some files were probably over-written or changed.

With the PB Google maps I found them to not have very many features. I think Google is not taking the PB very seriously. It has been a fair number of months now, and there have been no improvements. I found with the PB the Bing maps and options worked better.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You can try Magellan Compass which is a Google map implementation ;-).
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Sounds interesting...  I will certainly look in to this.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.