Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

hacked!!!

Help! I bought a playbook the otherday and been downloading random **bleep** off the app world and suddenly someone was remotly using my playbook and the only way I can get it to stop is either turning it off or turning wifi off is there anything I can do to stop it?
Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Re: hacked!!!

hmmmm, were you in a public hotspot ie. starbucks.....I don't see how this would even be possible, there isn't any software on the playbook to allow it...
Contributor

No I'm at home and my wifi is secured with a password and I realised turning off wifi didn't stop whatever or whoever it was still kep making random things pop up like app world calculator and settings its switched off atm because I don't want to risk it but there must be something I can do only got it couple days ago
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: .

Uninstall all the new software you added one at a time until you find the one causing trouble.

delete all download/browser cashe
Copy docs pics etc... from Z drive to a temp folder on your hard disk. so you have a backup copy.

Backup All the Playbook files to your PC

Then do a full reset which will delete all the data you downloaded to the Playbook.

Settings > Security > Security Wipe Option

Check Blackberry help files/manual for further details on how to do this.

When complete your PB should be back to the same condition as when you bought it.
Re Run setup and update to latest OS etc....
Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

if wifi and bluetooth are off there is no possible way that someone could gain remote access...Even with it on I don't see how someone could gain access without some kind of client running on the playbook. Can you explain in more detail what you are experiencing...applications are opening themselves? Are you sure you are brushing your finger over the suspect apps by accident.

I would be quicker to think the touch screen is malfunctioning then someone taking remote control of your tablet.
Contributor

matti88 wrote:
Help! I bought a playbook the otherday and been downloading random **bleep** off the app world and suddenly someone was remotly using my playbook and the only way I can get it to stop is either turning it off or turning wifi off is there anything I can do to stop it?

What Apps did you download... ?

If you can prove there is one that causes problems - Name and Shame here and on the Apps World site.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

reconeyes wrote:
if wifi and bluetooth are off there is no possible way that someone could gain remote access...

I would be quicker to think the touch screen is malfunctioning then someone taking remote control of your tablet.

Agree - before doing a Full Reset check this first

Go to Settings and switch off  WiFi, Bluetooth and disconnect from you PC.

You could also do a Reset default settings too to see if problem clears ?

Contributor

I know I wasn't brushing my finger over it because I wasn't touching it and don't think its a screen malfunction because it wouldn't type stuff basically it kept opening up app world and calculator it went on to google and started typing something but I switched it off before it finished and I think I know what app it was but can't remember what its called but I done a security wipe but the battery is abit low so its charging before can do the os update and both my bluetooth and wifi was off and was still trying to open app world
Contributor

cheers for update
let us have another progress report when you have done the OS update and back up and running.
Contributor

Okaay I done the update of the os went throught the setup etc and as soon as it came on app world opened up so I turned it off for a bit and then I turned it back on waited a few mins and nothing and then camera just opened up and I closed it and it opened up again so I covered the front facing camera and switched it off there must be something I can do because I can't do anything on it is there anything I can do?