Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Playbook, BB Curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

help with a stolen PB

Hi,

My name is Carmen, I am a journalist, I live in Bucharest, Romania, Eastern Europe. 

My 7 years old daughter had her Playbook stolen, I'm afraid. I'd like to block it. I have the pin, the box etc, I'd really like to make it impossible for the person who took it to use it. Thanks for your answers. 

Carmen 

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: help with a stolen PB

To clarify are you sure it was stolen?... or could it have been left by accident and picked up by a stranger (possibly returned to a lost and found)?

I ask as if there's a chance at the latter you might want to see if you can contact the device vs. Shut it down.

E.g. I wonder if another PB owner could attempt a video chat to the device to see if it was found.

Also do you know if it had a password set on it?

PS if you think it might be reachable don't post the PIN on here publicly, try to find someone you trust (or DM someone on this forum you trust) to see if they can help you out.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
New Contributor

Hi,

First of all, let me thank you for your kind words. 

I'm quite sure the PB was stolen. My daughter took it to the yard of our house, climbed a fence to take a photo of a flower, then climbed down. And she thinks she left it on a lower part of the fence, only for a minute, as she came inside to have some water.

She is 7 and so far it seems I managed to keep her quite far from mean people, cause she didn't believe it was possible for someone to just take her PB without asking first.

Anyway, the tablet is gone, and I'd really like to make it unusable to the one who took it.

It wasn't password protected (I know, I know) but it was meant to be used by a kid. I already tried to video call the PIN myself, I got my own PB. It's offline. The thief is probably going to try sell it, and I'd really like to make his profit impossible. 

So,the question remains : how do I block it? How do I blacklist it's PIN?

Thank you. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Sorry for your daughters loss, I had my fair share of lost devices with my kids. all but one showed up after a few days.

I do not know of a way to black list it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thank you, you are very kind Smiley Happy. I don't know about showing up. I live in Romania Smiley Happy

New Contributor

What a disapointing experience with RIM! I have just got off the phone with them and after 15 minutes of talking, there is no resolution on my stolen PB!

But I should start by saying I managed to get to the thief of my daughter's PB through videochat. After calling a million times, he probably couldn't resist anymore and answered. I asked him, very politely, if he knew he was holding a stolen good in his hands and I asked him if he wanted to trade back the tablet to me. Got no answer, he hanged up&went offline.

That's when I decided to call BB support in Canada, which is an ocean distance away from where I live, in Romania, Eastern Europe, EU. So very expensive. After explaining the situation for 15 minutes, including the fact that I still have all the documents from when I bought the PB, the original box, the warranty certificate etc and the PIN number, they concluded it wasn't enough to establish I was the rightful owner and instructed me to look for customer support on the website to report the incident. Which I did, of course, but apparently there is no section to where my situation applies. So I wasn't able to find an appropiate email addres. Or maybe I'm just too furious and I can't concentrate on finding it.
Anyway, if someone can help me with this infamous email address, or with the whole situation, in general, I'll be forever grateful.

Carmen