Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

Thanks to all for the informations. I will try the 3.1a unit. Will keep you informed.

Ok, I am throwing out an off the wall idea but we're brainstorming here right? Power inverters; I have one of these myself and it works. I use mine for my laptop on the road and it handles the PlayBook fine using the stock chargers. It's not elegant, but it works. Mount it under your car seat and you can plug in whatever you want, whenever you want since it's a wall plug and it's hidden when not in use.

OK back to the discussion at hand: If you read the USB article on Wikipedia (it's long and boring) it will tell you under the Charging Ports and Accessory Charging Adapters section the information you need to know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Also, read this long discussion others have had with car chargers and the PlayBook - again, it says use the right cable and you will have success. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/car-charger-playbook-607253/index2.html otherwise you won't. You can even search the Internet on how to turn a regular USB cable into a power only cable. Here's some YouTube videos that will explain it and allow you to make a cable yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-rfImR86g&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZt4pW97P8

What do you have to lose? One USB cable...

I think wasting your money on a 3.1A charger isn't the answer. Making the right cable is.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Chaosdivine. Thank you for the information. Another option to consider. I have ordered the 3.1 unit from ebay and it should be here on Wednesday. Will keep you posted. I am determined to get a navigation programme working.

Regards

Ross 

Regards to all (except BB)
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Hi CD.  Not too sure shorting out data wires is the right thing for playbook. Crackberry folk are nutters.

One interesting thing in the usb wiki. The usb logo is supposed to be uppermost, whereas RIM decided to ignore that standard, hence too many damaged sockets. 

________
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

TroyTempest wrote:

Hi CD.  Not too sure shorting out data wires is the right thing for playbook. Crackberry folk are nutters.

One interesting thing in the usb wiki. The usb logo is supposed to be uppermost, whereas RIM decided to ignore that standard, hence too many damaged sockets. 

You're not shorting out the power pins/wires but you're shorting out or DISABLING the data pins which allows full current flow because the PlayBook's circuitry doesn't get the feedback signal that limits current flow.

This is all over the net guys. Sooner or later you'll come to the right conclusion. It might cost you a bunch of extraneous dollars after buying chargers that don't work but eventually you'll figure it out.

This isn't a RIM thing or a PlayBook thing. It is a function of the USB specification. I have pointed it out already.

Your choices are simple: Buy a 1.8A BB OEM car charger which already has these pins wired correctly for the PlayBook or buy a 1.8A (2.1A or above will work too) car charger and then either hack an existing USB cable into a charge cable or buy a charge only USB cable. Unless you get lucky with a charger that has this already modified, you will fail.

Anyhow, I can't force you guys to follow instructions but hopefully you'll stop ignoring the information presented to you and give it a shot.

I'm out...

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

I don’t doubt it. I will have to power up the mac and look at the usb wiki and search for shorted data wires. Playbook browser lacks the ctrl-F function!

________
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Not applicable

Just used the charger I bought from Amazon (see my earlier post about item)  on 2 twenty minutes car journeys and it charged my PlayBook from 68 percent to 79 percent in that time. So I must assume that it does the job OK! Hope this what you want Ross

Ken

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Kwmcs

Brilliant asnwer. Thanks. If the one I have ordered does not work I will get the one you suggested. Good when a plan comes together isn't it?

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: in-car charger?

Well not all OEM BlackBerry smartphone chargers will work. I have two that will not.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I

JSanders wrote:
Well not all OEM BlackBerry smartphone chargers will work. I have two that will not.

I linked to one on page 1 of this thread that does.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 2. Z30 3. Z10 4. Classic

Thanks Chaos....followed the advice for the USB hack to convert a stardard data cable to a charge cable....a five minute modification to a redundant usb cable.  I already had the 12V car to 5V usb  2.0 amp adapter (Belkin) for another device.

Slice the cable mid length, cut and short the green and white wires to the micro-end (device).  Leave open on the charger end.

Now have a lightning bolt charge showing on the pb.  

Incidentally, when using a standard bb smartphone car charger, it only showed the plug symbol, but charged the pb over 5 or 6 hours from 60% to 99%.  Slow but it works and  similar to a standard bb smartphone charger .