Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

is this a feature or a security issue?

i have 3 wifi networks set up on my blackberry bold 9000 - one of these is a public network and all 3 of them require a pw to get on.

one of these is my home network which i set up on my playbook (filled in pw) before i tried blackberry bridge a few days ago.

the other two i just discovered they are already set up on my playbook without me having to fill in the passwords - i discovered this when i noticed it just signed onto one of them automatically. all this happened without my playbook being bridged to my blackberry.

it would appear that the bridge software copied the passwords from my blackberry onto the playbook without  my knowledge. while this can be useful, it also begs some questions...

1) the bridge we are told does not leave any data on the playbook - this episode would seem to contradict that. does this not count as a security flaw?

2) whatelse does the bridge copy onto the playbook?

can someone from RIM address these questions?

thanks.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: None

Re: is this a feature or a security issue?

I also experienced this at work the other day. I was really surprised to see the Wi-Fi at work already available on the PB.

Hmmmm?

Contributor
My Device: 9800, and Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

i noticed the same thing yesterday....

I visited my parents place. and My torch has their wifi credentials stored in its network settings.  so I pulled out the playbook and started fiddling with it anticipating that i was going to get prompted for the AP password. to my disbileive my playbook was already attatched to their network. 

the only way it could have done that was by pulling the data off my torch. 

I think its a cool feature, and I am lead to beleive that its not stored on the PB, it stays on the phone.

8100, 8900, 9800, and Playbook owner
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

I'm afraid it likely did not get it from the blackberry "on the fly". When I noticed my playbook logging onto one of those 3 networks - coincidentally also my parent's - my playbook was not bridged to my blackberry. I intentionally made sure it was not bridged because I want to test the wifi set up. So I'm certain the PWs are sitting on my playbook.

Contributor
My Device: 9800, and Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

easy way to check    i will visit my folks again and just turn  my torch off before i walk into the house

8100, 8900, 9800, and Playbook owner
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: None

In my case the same thing happened and I did not even have my blackberry with me that day.