Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32Gb v2.1.0.1032
My Carrier: rogers

Re: link to photo on Dropbox will not open

In the hope that someone reading this forum may have an answer,  What I have found, is that if I copy the firts link and then paste it into the browser, the picture displays. But not if the link is just tapped.

The second public link will open by tapping (or pasting)

The .jpg file is the same in both cases.

It would appear that the Playbook does not download the pic in the first link automatically, but does in the second. Pasting the first link into browser display the pic, indicatiing there is nothing wrong with the file itself, jus how PB is handling it??

Graham123 wrote:

Dropbox have changed the way we share files. In past, there was a public folder. Files were pasted into that folder and by right clicking, a link could be pasted to clipboard for insertion in an email. The newest version of Dropbox no longer has the public folder. You click on the file, in say Photos, and then on share. Then you can send file directly or copy link to clipboard and paste in an email.

The links created have a different format. Here are two I sent to PB

Firstly from new version of Dropbox using Sharing

andfrom older version of Dropbox using  public link

As before, the first link does not open the picture on PB. But the second one opens fine.

On other computers, both links open properly.

Contributor

Forwarded links to my son who has PB. He uses Gmail, not the native email program. Both types of links opened for him. I have a Gmail account too, so set it up on PB then forwarded same message to myself. On PB, both links opened fine in Gmail. But when same message was opened in native email program, only the link from public dropbox folder opened.

So work around, is to abandom Playbook email program and use Gmail.

Surely that is not the only solution?

PS: It may seem I am just talking to myself here, but I have referred others who are trying to help, to this thread.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Well when I tried your link, when I sent it to myself I use the bridge program to send it and then I used the power Playbook e-mail program to open it and it work right from there

BTW, I use Hotmail on the Playbook and phone for e-mail

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor

rat-7 wrote:

Well when I tried your link, when I sent it to myself I use the bridge program to send it and then I used the power Playbook e-mail program to open it and it work right from there

Seems your process is a bit different from mine.

Once you got the email containing the links on your PB, you opened using "power" email program? What is that? The built in email program?

When you say file opened - Does it come up with a Save-As window displaying the file name. Then you agree to that and it opens file?

I simply sent an email from my wife's Windows laptop to my Playbook. eMail contained both types of links. Using the native PB email program,one link opens one does not . Using Gmail as email program, both links open. emails were sent from Cogeco account and received in both Gmail and Cogeco accounts that are set up in PB mail.

It's a puzzle why one form of link will not open on the Playbook if PB email program is used.

I have been away, but will talk to RIM on Monday. I have emailed Dropbox, but they don't seem to reply. Kind of worrying considering it is a service we entrust to protect our files!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Graham123 wrote:

rat-7 wrote:

Seems your process is a bit different from mine.

Once you got the email containing the links on your PB, you opened using "power" email program? What is that? The built in email program?

When you say file opened - Does it come up with a Save-As window displaying the file name. Then you agree to that and it opens file?

I simply sent an email from my wife's Windows laptop to my Playbook. eMail contained both types of links. Using the native PB email program,one link opens one does not . Using Gmail as email program, both links open. emails were sent from Cogeco account and received in both Gmail and Cogeco accounts that are set up in PB mail.

It's a puzzle why one form of link will not open on the Playbook if PB email program is used.

I have been away, but will talk to RIM on Monday. I have emailed Dropbox, but they don't seem to reply. Kind of worrying considering it is a service we entrust to protect our files!

Sorry I do not know what the "power" does there, but you are correct I did use the e-mail program that come on the Playbook

both link open in the browser window and from there I was able to save the picture

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Highlighted
Contributor

This is not a solution, but a workaround:

In sumary, I have done a lot of testing, and now I am sure the problem lies within the Playbook messages app.

I have tried many test messages containing Dropbox share links created in different ways. Without exception, they all open on Windows computers in their email programs(Vista Mail, Win 7 WLM,XP OE, etc) as well as in Gmail (and probably other web based email programs).

On the Playbook, Dropbox links will open in the Messages app, but ONLY if they are sent from Dropbox Public folder (which Dropbox have now discontinued). Dropbox links created using current recommended share method will NOT open using Messages.

The way I will have to overcome this, is to abandon use of the Messages app and use Gmail instead. (At least until such time RIM fixes this problem). This seems a pity because I like the mail alerts Messages provides.