Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32Gb v2.1.0.1032
My Carrier: rogers

link to photo on Dropbox will not open

I have been sent an email that contains a link to a picture that sender has stored on Dropbox.

The link worked fine on my laptop, but will not open the jpg on my Playbook.

What I see, is a rectangular grey image with break therough the corner. Maybe indicating a broken picture?

When I look under downloads, the picture name is there, but it is a very small file (33kb) and will not open.

I have done some tests myself and this happens regardless of the file or who sends it. I have tried smaller jpg files and same thing happens. I also tried changing the link from https to http with no change.

Here is an example of the link.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/3zp32c5qhiyq4eo/luke100.jpg

I would like to know why this happens and if there is a way to open the images.

My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: link to photo on Dropbox will not open

I tried the link on my Playbook, and the picture open just fine

BTW cute baby

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor

rat-7 wrote:

I tried the link on my Playbook, and the picture open just fine

BTW cute baby

Did you open it in the browser? If I know how to opy and past on PB I would try that!

The problem I am having, is when the link is in an email.  (Try copying the link and emailing it to yourself.)c When I click on the link in the email, it first of all brings up a window with the name. Click OK, and the rectangular grey image with white border and bottom tight corner "torn" off apperas.

Contributor

I figured out how to copy and paste to browser and sure enough pic opens. But not from email. It doesn't download the pic.

I just did your test, and when I tapped on the lini in the e-mail, it ask if I wanted to open the browser using the link, and it work perfectly, thevsame as when I tried it the first time

Martin
Contributor

rat-7 wrote:

I just did your test, and when I tapped on the lini in the e-mail, it ask if I wanted to open the browser using the link, and it work perfectly, thevsame as when I tried it the first time

Hmm - That is strange. 

I just did it again. If I hold my finger on link, it brings up several options. Open Link; Copy; Copy Link; Save Link As; Cancel.

If I choose Open Link, a box opens that says Save As with the file name highlighted in a smaller box with arrows at each end. It says file exists (prom previous attempts) and To Rename or press OK to replace file.

I click OK and I get the grey rectangle as described before.

What are we doing different?

Contributor

I tried sending myself a different picture (much smaller) from my laptop as a Dropbox link as before. It opened fine once I chose OK as described above.

I notice you have a 64Gb and I have 32GB. Could that make a difference as to the memory allocated for file downloads?

Graham123 wrote:
I tried sending myself a different picture (much smaller) from my laptop as a Dropbox link as before. It opened fine once I chose OK as described above.

I notice you have a 64Gb and I have 32GB. Could that make a difference as to the memory allocated for file downloads?

I have no idea why it does that on your end and not on mine or vice-versa.

I doubt that the capacity would make a diffrence for the download, unless you have very little space left on the device

Martin
Contributor

rat-7 wrote:

Graham123 wrote:

I have no idea why it does that on your end and not on mine or vice-versa.

I doubt that the capacity would make a diffrence for the download, unless you have very little space left on the device

I tried something else.

Dropbox have changed the way we share files. In past, there was a public folder. Files were pasted into that folder and by right clicking, a link could be pasted to clipboard for insertion in an email. The newest version of Dropbox no longer has the public folder. You click on the file, in say Photos, and then on share. Then you can send file directly or copy link to clipboard and paste in an email.

The links created have a different format. Here are two I sent to PB

Firstly from new version of Dropbox using Sharing

andfrom older version of Dropbox using  public link

As before, the first link does not open the picture on PB. But the second one opens fine.

On other computers, both links open properly.

So, it seems there is something about the new style link that MY Playbook does not like.

To test this on another Playbook, it would be necessary to paste the two links into an email and send it to the Playbook. (On their own, the links will open in the browser, even on my Playbook).

Contributor

Just thought I would add this pic of the PB screen after trying to open any drop box link other than one from public folder:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54783344/PB%20Screen.JPG