Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: z10; playbook 64gb
My Carrier: at&t

os and app updates

Smiley Frustrated wondering what is up? it's been over a year since the last os update and i've seen maybe one app update in that time. have seen the discussion that bb10 is coming to playbook. am hopeful that will extend to first generation playbooks. short that, what gives with playbook app development/improvement? have been largely steadfast in my support of blackberry but the lack of playbook support has been disappointing!

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: os and app updates

What I think is Blackberry focus is now on Blackberry 10 Devices. I am unsure if they will be coming out Blackberry 10 for playbook or not but their has been rumors. You will just have to wait and see since nobody seems to have any other information currently.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: os and app updates

[ Edited ]

pjmacklin wrote:

Smiley Frustrated wondering what is up? it's been over a year since the last os update and i've seen maybe one app update in that time. have seen the discussion that bb10 is coming to playbook. am hopeful that will extend to first generation playbooks. short that, what gives with playbook app development/improvement? have been largely steadfast in my support of blackberry but the lack of playbook support has been disappointing!

This is factually incorrect. The last OS update was: v2.1.0.1526 and released on Feb. 13, 2013. If you don't believe me, look on BlackBerry's own site with links to all versions of the OS and their release dates: http://ca.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/software-updates.html

Now, with that said, Thorsten Heins did say that PlayBook owners will be getting BlackBerry 10 sometime this year which, when he said it, meant 2013. I watched a video of him saying it to ABC reporters live on TV when the Z10 was released. On a thread somewhere on these forums, I posted a link to the actual video in fact. However, since then, there has been no official word on when this will occur. It is the lack of official talk and confirmation of this statement since he made it is the part that makes me the most uncomfortable. We have no idea if BlackBerry will have a change of heart and just softly kill the PlayBook and not give it's 2.3 million users OS 10 as promised.

The chatter online for release date is "soon" but how to quantify that in a specific day is anyone's guess...